Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Nicol - Gordon Highlanders

Allan1892

William enlisted into the 6th Btn GH in September 1914. Landed in France 4/2/1915. He was admitted to 2nd General Hospital on the 22/3/1916 suffering from Influenza. On the 26/3/1916 he was transferred to Rfts Cinder City -- can anyone tell me what Rfts Cinder City was?

7 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

William enlisted into the 6th Btn GH in September 1914. Landed in France 4/2/1915. He was admitted to 2nd General Hospital on the 22/3/1916 suffering from Influenza. On the 26/3/1916 he was transferred to Rfts Cinder City -- can anyone tell me what Rfts Cinder City was?

That’s a new one on me, where has this come from. 

post a copy of the document, 

From the Admissions / Discharge register of the 2nd General Hospital -- attached image shows Rfts Havre for 4 soldiers and the last two shows Rfts Cinder City (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Cinder City.jpg

Rfts could that be reinforcements 

what are the headings of the columns 

The heading of the last column is 'Observations' and is the column that is used to enter where the soldier has been discharged to -- e.g. 'to duty'; 'to convalescent depot'; 'to ambulance train' etc.

I don't think it stands for reinforcements.

Might 'Cinder City' be some sort of code or nickname for Convalescent Camp? Or a convalecent camp in particular??

Might be appropriate for those suffering/having suffered from influenza

???

M

• Admin

Search the Forum for Cinder City and you'll find this article. In Havre I believe.

Russ

252488124_cindercity1.jpg.376b69d280caea65a340c745a4a1b2e2.jpg

23 minutes ago, RussT said:

Search the Forum for Cinder City and you'll find this article. In Havre I believe.

Russ

252488124_cindercity1.jpg.376b69d280caea65a340c745a4a1b2e2.jpg

Sent there for convalescence one [well I] might presume.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Thank you both, from the newspaper article I tried another search using 'Cinder City Havre' and up popped this:

The term “Cinder City” refers to different contexts, so let’s explore a couple of them:

Cinder City during World War I:
During World War I, Cinder City was a nickname for Le Havre, a French port on the English Channel. Le Havre served as a primary base for the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) throughout the war.
The inhabitants of Cinder City were men who had “done their bit” but, for various reasons, were not fit to return to active duty. These individuals were often stationed in Le Havre, where they played essential roles in supporting the war effort. Hospitals, rest camps, and other facilities were established in the town to care for the troops1.
Le Havre was a crucial transit point for British and Commonwealth troops moving to and from the Western Front. Thousands of soldiers passed through the city, making it a bustling hub during the war.

The text below would confirm that Cinder City was indeed at Le Havre. (excerpt courtesy of the IWM)

SENTENCED TO DEATH
Alfred Evans, Harry Stanton and Howard Marten were three of seventeen COs who were imprisoned in Harwich in May 1916 ........ One night they were moved across the Channel to Le Havre and an army camp called Cinder City. On Cinder City’s vast parade ground, about a thousand soldiers were lined up, with the seventeen COs scattered among them. ‘The parade was then ordered to right turn, quick march. Not one of us seventeen moved.’ There was a lot of shouting from the officers, then small groups of soldiers were sent back to drag the COs off. ‘For a short time it must have been an amazing sight to see us scattered motionless over the huge (and now empty) parade ground.’