Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge at Hamilton Camp, Salisbury Plain 1915

Moonraker

Identifying cap-badges has never been my strong point, and I've worked through my listings of units based locally without getting anything like a match.  OK, it's not a great crop (600dpi), but I'm hoping that the square shape might strike a chord with someone, please.

The crop is from a postcard showing four soldiers outside one of the shack-huts almost certainly at Hamilton Camp, west of Lark Hill. The postmark is of nearby Rollestone Camp, May 19, 1915, but Hamilton Camp did not have its own postmark. The addressee (a Miss illegible) lived in Castleford, Yorkshire, which may or may not be a clue as to the sender's home address.

I've checked the cap-badges of a dozen units  based at Rollestone, Hamilton and Lark Hill (many Light Infantry) without luck.

Hamiltoncapbadgesclosecrop.jpg.81798d7bd3eb132852cc439c9476345c.jpg

• Admin

It’s Artillery, whether Horse, Field or Garrison is unknown. The Artillery train at Lark Hill these days I believe. 

Michelle, thanks for the prompt response.  It being an artillery badge explains why I couldn't identify it, as my list of "units in Wiltshire" is nearly all of cavalry and infantry. Many  artillery units spent a few days at Lark Hill during the war to use the ranges. Close to Hamilton Camp was "Hamilton Battery", served by a narrow-gauge railway spur off the Larkhill Military Railway and which carried artillery shells.

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

Michelle, thanks for the prompt response.  It being an artillery badge explains why I couldn't identify it, as my list of "units in Wiltshire" is nearly all of cavalry and infantry. Many  artillery units spent a few days at Lark Hill during the war to use the ranges. Close to Hamilton Camp was "Hamilton Battery", served by a narrow-gauge railway spur off the Larkhill Military Railway and which carried artillery shells.

There was a permanent School of Artillery established at Larkhill Camp during WW1.  It began construction in 1914 and opened in 1915, operating throughout the war, so there would have been plenty of those cap badges around.

Edited by FROGSMILE