Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strata Florida (St Mary’s)

jay dubaya

Never seen the likes of this before and can see no reason why they are there, they look fairly old and somewhat remind me of the 18 pounder wheel hub caps. It’s an official CWGC headstone. Hoping someone may have an idea as to why they are there.

cheers, J

3CC5A818-BDB6-454F-92F8-F193C9F2F05E.jpeg.baf2136a9d80ec252a182f23d6d052b1.jpeg478EDB28-8224-4A1C-B89D-2A626589C05E.jpeg.2f3aef0fe161c68d77ec60051680216f.jpeg

Hi jaydub,

I recently saw a very new slate stone, 2 or 3 years old IIRC, at Bayvil Old Church, Nevern, that had actually split down its entire length, and remember thinking that a couple of stout bolts might draw the two faces together.

I wonder if something like that had happened here?

That would make sense Dai, it would also explain what looks like rubber washers on the reverse. The slate doesn’t appear to show any signs of delaminating so possibly added as a preventative measure. The marks from the strimmer are taking their toll, some of the older stones are in a shocking condition due to this.

Probably two more bolts at the bottom then, maybe underground?

33 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

The marks from the strimmer are taking their toll, some of the older stones are in a shocking condition due to this.

Yes I noticed those.