Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chadwick W.J. Essex Regt

Patrick H

Hi all, im trying to find some info on L/Cpl W J Chadwick kia F & F 17.1.15 2nd Essex Batt Regular. enlisted Warley No 5028

He was I believe the Bass Drummer in the battalion band

Buried in La Calvarie Cem

Any help would be much appreciated

Patrick

Patrick

SDGW has him born in Islington and residing in Brentwood.

Glyn

Hi Patrick,

I had a look in Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914 - 1919. No mention of any casualties on the the 17th January, 1915.

On the other hand the War Diary of the 2nd Bn. Essex Regiment has this to say (no names I'm afraid):

"Jan 17th: Snipers rather more active during the day - Enemy put a few shells near the trenches occupied & at Monmouths on our right. Casualties 3 killed, 2 wounded."

That's all I'm afraid. Information is very scarce...

Looking at his service number (I know this is dangerous territory) he could have enlisted very early 20th century or even end 19th....

Michael

CWGC lists his age at death in 1915 as 33. DoB therefore around 1882. Certainly possible for early 1900s service.

Steve.

Hi Patrick,

I had a look in Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914 - 1919. No mention of any casualties on the the 17th January, 1915.

On the other hand the War Diary of the 2nd Bn. Essex Regiment has this to say (no names I'm afraid):

"Jan 17th: Snipers rather more active during the day - Enemy put a few shells near the trenches occupied & at Monmouths on our right. Casualties 3 killed, 2 wounded."

That's all I'm afraid. Information is very scarce...

Looking at his service number (I know this is dangerous territory) he could have enlisted very early 20th century or even end 19th....

Michael

Thanks Michael, do you have any info as to where they were on the 17th January.

Patrick

Thanks Michael, do you have any info as to where they were on the 17th January.

Patrick

They were at Le Bizet, near Armentières. Here is some background info from Burrows:

post-2017-1114202584.jpg

post-2017-1114202602.jpg

Cheers, Michael

They were at Le Bizet, near Armentières. Here is some background info from Burrows:

post-2017-1114202584.jpg

post-2017-1114202602.jpg

Cheers,  Michael

Thanks Michael, thats great help. I wanted to post a reply on another link which referred to people not posting their thanks but it has been closed. All I can say is that since I joined this site a couple of weeks ago it has proved fantastic to those of us carying out private research. A BIG THANK YOU to all who provide us with answers

Patrick

• 2 months later...

His service number indicates that he joined the Essex around January 1898. He served with the 2nd Battalion in south africa and received the Queen's South Africa medal with 4 clasps. He was posted to the Depot Essex from 2nd Bn on 15.2.1910. In 1913 Dmr Chadwick was part of the Depot Football team. There is a Pte Chadwick pictured in the 1908-09 2nd Bn Football team - given that he was later on the 3rd Bn football team there is a possibility that this was him. Details from the Essex Regiment Gazette(ERG) / QSA roll. The ERG of Apl 1911 records the birth of his daughter at Warley.

Hope this helps

His service number indicates that he joined the Essex around January 1898. He served with the 2nd Battalion in south africa and received the Queen's South Africa medal with 4 clasps. He was posted to the Depot Essex from 2nd Bn on 15.2.1910. In 1913 Dmr Chadwick was part of the Depot Football team. There is a Pte Chadwick pictured in the 1908-09 2nd Bn Football team - given that he was later on the 3rd Bn football team there is a possibility that this was him. Details from the Essex Regiment Gazette(ERG) / QSA roll. The ERG of Apl 1911 records the birth of his daughter at Warley.

Hope this helps

Owen, many thanks for that new information! I was not aware of the football team, do you have the photo as his granddaughter would certainly be interested in seeing it !

Patrick

Owen,

Welcome to the Forum and your first contribution is one of great interest. We want more... :lol:

You mention the Essex Regiment Gazette and the QSA roll. Do you have a number of these and any other source material on the Essex Regiment in general and the 2nd Bn. in particular? Is it for instance possible to ask for look ups in the ERG and QSA roll, etc.?

Cheers,

Michael

Patrick

I have a very poor photocopy of a photocopy of the picture. And there are two other possible Chadwicks although yours is the most probable.

Michael

I have copies of the sections covering the regular battalions to 1914. (it only started in 1909 and was suspended during the war) I have an index to all those mentioned up to 1914. As a rough guide I have no references beyond service number 10400. I have (near) complete copies of the QSA rolls for 1st 2nd and 3rd Bns. I also have these indexed on a database.

I have a number of original photos from 1894 to 1911ish including 2nd in Burma nd India and a copy of the Quetta photo Album of the 1st Bn in 1911. I've also indedxed the named individuals (c 200) who appear in this.

Happy to do lookups

Happy to do lookups

That is very kind indeed. I'm positively drooling after reading what very interesting information you have...

When you have the time could you please look for any reference regarding the following soldiers:

My maternal Great Grandfather - Thomas Gambles (1580), Grandfather Charles Frederick Gambles (7318) and Great Uncle Albert Edward Gambles (8760). All three 2nd. Bn. Essex Regiment.

Also for a friend: Dennis Corliss (6975), 1st Bn. Essex Regiment.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

1580Thomas Gambles awarded LSGC 1.10.88 as Sgt Dmr 2Bn. The Essex Records Office at Chelmsford has a photo album of the former CO of 2/Essex covering the early 1880s to the late 1890’s. It includes a picture of the Sgts 2nd Bn c 1884. Sgr Dmr should be distinctive. 3 volumes piece references D/DU 346/19/ 1-3 well worth a look

8760 A E Gambles selected for course at Kneller Hall 24.11.10 whilst in 2B, Apl 1912 records awarded certificate from Kneller Hall, Appointed Bandsman 2Bn 2.7.13, Jan 1913 record him as member Band football team 2nd Bn during 1912 – some match results no specific reference to him in the match accounts, reported wounded in the Essex Chronicle of 15.10.15 with 2Bn, Reference in the later Regimental Journal the Wasp&Eagle (available Colchester Library) Volume 1959-1962 page 431 stating service from 1906-1917

7318 Charles Frederick Gambles: 22.3.10 passed map reading course Aldershot whilst Lcpl 2Bn, appointed paid LCpl 2Bn 8.12.10, to Depot from 2Bn 13.5.11 as Cpl, appointed School Assistant 3rd Bn 15.5.11, member depot Shooting team 21.9.12 as Sgt (Lsgt), 8.9.13 attended retirement concert as Sgt 3rd Bn, Promoted Sgt 19.10.13 from Lsgt 2Bn, transfer to 2Bn from Depot 13.5.14, reported wounded in Essex Chronicle 25.12.14 as Sgt 2Bn and again 18.6.15 as ACQMS, later served MGC. Scan attached

Nothing on Corliss I'm afraid

post-4842-1121887299.jpg

Wow!

This is fantastic, you have just provided me with more information about their service with The Essex Regiment than I have found in 2,5 years of plodding. I haven’t been able to trace their service records yet, if they still exist that is...the scan is great.

Very exiting, if there is anything I can do in return, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers and thanks a million,

Michael

Owen,

the Shenfield team you posted includes a few local well knwn names ie. Larkin, Halfhide and Copeland. Is there anything more on Copeland as he is one of the family names I am researching but I dont think he was ever in the Essex unless you find otherwise?

Captain Douglas Chatterton Bruce Copeland MC Adjt 12th Batt London Regt (The Rangers) who dies aged 29 on 21st June 1918 son of A J & Ida Copeland of Brentwood Essex

Also I have a Ambrose Elsey who served Great War in 2/24th London Regt but I have a strong feeling he served with the Essex and I know he was in the Boer War but havnt found anything else about hiim. His details I have :-

Sgt Ambrose Elsey 720001 2/24th London Regt dies aged 41 on 9.12/1917 "in the attack on Jerusalem" son of Priscilla Toms (formerly Elsey) of Warley, husband of Maude Ellen Elsey of The Fields Ongar Essex

I also have several Warley men who were serving Essex Regt pre Great War and would like to follow these up if you dont mind

Cheers

Patrick

Also on a completely different line I would appreciate any referances to a QSM William Geddes. I know he was at warley Barracks in 1889 but may not have been with the Essex

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick

6932 Pte A Elsey served with F (Brentwood) Company 1st Volunteer Battalion. He joined the 1st Volunteer Special Service Company attached to 1st Essex in South Africa and received the QSA with clasp Cape Colony Orange Free State Johannesburg Diamond Hill and Belfast.Probably also South Africa 01. He, with other Brentwood volunteers, was presented with a watch by the borough on his return to England. The Essex Chronicle of 16th August 1901 has a brief account of the presentation

(There was also 6940 Pte B Elsey same details but did not get Johannesburg /Diamond Hill)

702 QMS William Geddes 1st Bn Essex was recommended for the LSGC on 1.4.82. I have no further details. The following snippet I acquired from the web at some point:

About 1888 there was a very flourishing Band of Hope in the Parish of Warley. The Superintendent was a Mr. W. Lucking, the Hon. Secretary, Mr. Carey Longmore and the Hon. Treasurer, QM. Sergeant George Geddes of the Essex Regiment (Warley Barracks).

Uncommon rank and name combination could well be the same man.

Nothing on your Copeland. There was a 4938 Sgt A Copeland who served in South Africa with 1st Essex and later at home in the Great War. Died in 1948.

Aways interested in pre-war Essex regulars

Regards

Patrick

702 QMS William Geddes 1st Bn Essex was recommended for the LSGC on 1.4.82. I have no further details. The following snippet I acquired from the web at some point:

About 1888 there was a very flourishing Band of Hope in the Parish of Warley. The Superintendent was a Mr. W. Lucking, the Hon. Secretary, Mr. Carey Longmore and the Hon. Treasurer, QM. Sergeant George Geddes of the Essex Regiment (Warley Barracks).

Uncommon rank and name combination could well be the same man.

Nothing on your Copeland. There was a 4938 Sgt A Copeland who served in South Africa with 1st Essex and later at home in the Great War. Died in 1948.

Aways interested in pre-war  Essex regulars

Regards

Owen,

Thanks for all that! The reason I asked you about Geddes was because I was aware that he was instrumental in introducing The Boy's Brigade to Warley and the Carey Longmore you mention was Captain for the next 60 years. Geddes I believe came from Glasgow, strange he should be in the Essex regt!

Not the same Copeland as my man was a Captain.

Thanks for Ambrose Elsey, that has given me a bit more.

I will post some more Essex Regulars soon

Many thanks

Patrick

Hi Owen,

Some more regulars (I think they are all regulars??)

32167 Pte William Burkett 1st Batt

4800 QM Sgt William Robert Cahill "H" Coy 1st Batt

7476 Pte J Freshwater 1st Batt

3/1644 Pte F O Joslin 1st Batt

3/2097 Pte John Frederick Manning 1 Batt

31514 Pte Charles Robert Neave 1 Batt

10731 Cpl Frederick Charles Montague Pouch 1 Batt

24092 Pte Francis Edward Manning 2nd Batt

8810 Pte George Seymour 2nd Batt

6629 Cpl F Buck 2nd Batt

46275 Pte J F Cox 1st Batt

18723 Squadron QM Sgt James Duggan Depot

18782 Sgt G H Hocken Depot

10913 Pte H A Wright 3rd Batt (transf to 454049, 435th Agricultural Coy,

200584 Pte F Emberson 1/4th Batt

Whatever you can do will be much appreciated

Patrick

Patrick

The pre war regulars are:

4800 William Robert Cahill Enlisted December 1896. Served India 2bn. Part of Essex Company Burma Mounted Infantry. To South Africa 7.1.00. Taken POW at Sanna’s Post 31.3.00. Released June 1900.. To 1st Bn 22.7.02? Paid LSgt A Coy 12.10.09. Prom Sgt 16.8.10. 1st Bn Rifle Team at Bengal-Punjab Rifle meeting October 1912 (with my great great uncle) Won Major Pratt’s Shooting Cup 1912 Passed School of Musketry course with distinction Satara 1913. Certificate in Elementary Pushtu 15.1.13. Best Shot of Sgts 1Bn 1913. Served Mauritius 1914 part of the shooting teams for the Queen’s and Henry Whitead Cups.Landed Gallipoli 25.4.15. Dow 12.5.15. Awarded LSGC 1915. Photo below taken Quetta 1911.

6629 Cpl F Buck. Re-engaged for 12 years with colours 20.7.09 with 2bn and for 21 years 21.7.13 with 2Bn. Reported wounded Essex Chronicle 11.6.15 as Lcpl 2Bn. Died 31.1.20

7476 J Freshwater Reported Wounded Essex Chronicle 29.1.15 as Pte 2Bn . KIA as Pte 1Bn 6.8. 15.

8810 George Seymour Reported Wounded Essex Chronicle 18.6.15 as Pte 2Bn .KIA with 2Bn 1.7.16.

The last pre-war regular was numbered c 10500. 1914 volunteers with numbers up to 12000 or so enlisted on regular army terms (7 years colours 5 reserve) . Can’t help you on the others on your list I’m afraid.

Not many happy endings here. What is the connection, are they all on the same memorial somewhere? Interest in anything else you may have on Cahill or the Mannings.

Hope above is of interest

Regards

post-4842-1121980087.jpg

Owen,

thanks for that- brilliant !

What a pity that after all those years of service, Cahill was to die so soon after landing at Gallipoli.

My interest/ connection with these names is that they are all on the Warley memorials (Christ Church, All Saints and Lorne Road Cemetery) and I am trying to get as much information as I can to set up a wbesite. Also furhter interest is the connection with 1st Warley Boy's Brigade since on my records many of these chaps were ex members or involved in the Company in some way. The 1st Warley was founded 1889 following meeting with QSM Geddes (discussed earlier) and had close connection with the Barracks at Warley for many years. The Company is still going after 116 years and I am the current Captain.

Thanks for your help and I am sure we will speak again

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Owen4256,

There is something not quite clear in my mind: when you write " reported wounded in Essex Chronicle 25.12.14" for instance, do you mean that the soldier was wounded on that date or is it the date of the Essex Chronicle itself in which was reported that the soldier was wounded, and the actual date was unknown?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

The date is that of the Essex Chronicle edition in which the casualty report was published. The actual date the individual was wounded will be sometime earlier, usually around 3-4 weeks seems to be the average. The only way to get a better feel for the date of the action is to look at the fatalities reported in the same edition.

The Times published daily casualty reports so it should be possible to get a better feel from that rather than from the Chronicle which published a weekly summary of the official reports.

The Times appears to have stopped publishing lists of the wounded sometime around May 1917. The Essex Chronicle carries on with lists of wounded until early 1918 but does not print service numbers beyond November 1916.

Regards

That's clear, thought it was probably the case, but....

Good idea about The Times, I remember now that they did publish. Spent hours looking for other info and forgot it's still on line. I'll have a go and who knows?

Thanks a lot once more,

Cheers Michael

• 1 month later...

Owen,

you looked up William Robert Cahill for me. Is there any more info on him. I see he was married to Harriett Cahill who lived at 69 Northgate St, Park Terrace, Colchester. Do you know if these were "married quarters"?

Did he have any family etc etc

Many Thanks

Patick