Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Completion of the attestation form

Keith_history_buff

I have done a trawl of the forum, but have not been able to find an answer.

Here is my two part question: 
Regarding the attestation form, would it be the case that it was completed by the recruiting sergeant or similar? Was it the case that the person voluntarily enlisting would only sign the attestation, and would not complete any other fields?

On 01/06/2017 at 21:10, tullybrone said:

Hi,

As the attestation/enlistment papers were handwritten and completed by an often very busy clerk there is always scope for error in the later transcription of the original if the handwriting is poor or the clerk misheard the details provided by the soldier on attestation.

Steve Y

I have come across an instance of an attestation completed prior to 1891 where the recruit has not completed said attestation. (I shall elucidate later.) I wondered if it were still the case for those enlisting voluntarily up to the end of 1915.

I came across the following from King's Regulations

Small-Books. 
917. A small-book is issued to every soldier on enlistment;, in which his description, particulars of service, &c., will be entered. All entries or necessary alterations will be made by the company, &c., commander

Soldiers' Services
1902;. 
The service of each soldier will be recorded on his original attestation and duplicate attestation.

Original and duplicate attestations will be filed in portfolios, in numerical order, an alphabetical index being kept in each volume. When an attestation is taken from the portfolio for any purpose, A.F. B 198 will be prepared and sent with it. This form after being signed by the recipient will be returned to be placed in the portfolio instead of the attestation. When the attestation has been received back, then A.F. B 198 will be returned to the officer who borrowed the; attestation. 

Should either the original or duplicate attestation be lost Attestation or become so injured as to render it useless, a certified copy of the lost attestation (whether original or duplicate) will be substituted for it. An entry as follows will be made in red ink at the top of the first page of the; copy :-

COPY ATTESTATION. "Substituted for (original or duplicate) attestation, in accordance with King's Regulations, paragraph 1904." Signature of; C.O. Station Date- for completion of; original attestation.

The; officer i/c records is to be furnished with the; information Information for keeping these records completed up to date; this information will be furnished in Part II of orders, as specified in para. 1890.

Original attestations will be sent to the officer i/e records, Custody of and will be disposed of as laid down in para. 1929. original attestation. The; original attestation of a warrant officer or N.C.O. serving on the command, garrison, or gymnastic establishment, and of; a soldier who is borne as supernumerary on the; regimental establishment will remain in the custody of the; officer i/c records of the corps to which he belongs. 

Thanks for reading

George Watkins enlisted at Abergavenny on 31 January 1890, with a declared age of 19 years. He came from Abbey Dore, neighbouring Pontrilas, near Hereford. He was allocated the service number 3152 when he enlisted in the South Wales Borderers. His service record has survived, archive reference WO 97/6179.

His attestation records that he was from Aberdare, Herefordshire. This is stated on his entry in the 1891 census. It leads me to believe that whatever "master data" was in use, be it a battalion description book or the attestations themselves, this was used to populate the census return, rather than asking each and every soldier to provide that information.