Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1916 Soviet Shell case

LewisD

Hell

New member with first post. :wacko:
I have 'won' a WW1 brass shell casing in a raffle, which I suspect may be a Naval Pom-Pom gun round. Can anyone ID it please?

The markings on the base are  КAРЛCРУE 1916  ПФР  ИДЬКРУЛЪ. Which an online translation says is KARLSRUE 1916 FIU IDKRUL.

The fuse appears to be from e Krupps Factory. It may not be the correct one, as it sits slightly proud of the base.

WW1 Soviet 3inch 1916 casing base 2.jpg

WW1 Soviet 3inch 1916 casing.jpg

LewisD,

Welcome to the Forum!

I cannot ID it, but the people who can will almost certainly ask for the dimensions.

Interesting piece to my eyes.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

It can't be a Soviet shell, not in 1916.

Russian, maybe.

But Soviet? No.

At face value, it looks like the shorter cartridge case for a howitzer (unless it has subsequently been shortened). Most of the Russian artillery was developed before WW1 either in France or Germany. This case could well be for a Krupp developed gun but we need the diameter of the case to identify which gun. However, I don't believe the Russians had a light or medium howitzer and tended to use heavier weapons such as 122 mm howitzers. The 122 mm M1909 howitzer was developed by Krupp.

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

LewisD,

Welcome to the Forum!

I cannot ID it, but the people who can will almost certainly ask for the dimensions.

Interesting piece to my eyes.

Regards,

JMB

Hi

JMB:  Thanks for the Welcome; and the comment on it being interesting. I've seen a fair few shells, in both my own and other regiments museums, but never one with those markings.

Dai Bach Y Sowldier: Point noted. :) I am definately not PC and have no interest in Semantics. There is technically only one years difference. Russia joined the Soviet Union after their revoluton in 1917, as the most dominant of their republics. But then politics is not my interest. The shell may have been manufactured in 1916, but who is to know when it was fired ?

Spaceman: I had considered a Howitzer, initially thinking of the Russian M1910 Fortress gun, using shrapnel canisters, with a lower charge.  Those were used in the Garford-Putlove armoured cars, from 1911. Then my thoughts went to a possible A/T or Naval A/A gun.  There is a bit of supporting info that the Cyrillics translates to Karlruhe. Although that is a large German city, there is also a village with the same name in the Ukraine, formally 'Russia'. Founded by emigrant Germans, in the early 18o0's. It is now known as Stepove. A colleague has told me there are some indications that there used to be a munitions factory there. My brain has suddenly reminded me that they were used in Poland and many were seized by the Germans, then modified at the Krupps works. Obviously munition dumps would have also been captured. I wonder if these shells could have been fied by the German Infantereigeschutz, which was also a Krupps design?

Measurements of the shell casing are:

Base: inclusive of the lip - 87.92mm.

Casing:  This is slightly tapered - 79.27mm at the base end and 77.79mm at the top.

Height: including base - 120,47mm. It has not been shortened. Excluding base = 116.27mm.

Fuse:  I managed to remove the fuse, which came out very easily and had two round washers and a square galvanised threaded roofing bolt nut inside. The fuse has been shortened, though the thread is correct. Therefore I doubt it is original to the shell.

More research is needed but the case is possibly from a Russian 76.2 mm M1910 mountain/support gun. If so, the cartridge may have been from one of the large number of captured M1910's that the Germans modified for their own infantry use.

In cyrilika there is stamped Fried. Krupp Karslruhe, also german production.

Edited by AndyBsk

It's rather unlikely to be Krupp-manufactured ammunition produced for Russia in 1916.

It's a 75x117R88 No.73 case for the 75mm Krupp M1905 mountain gun - for Bulgaria. The cases turn up in the UK occasionally, probably having been souvenired during the Salonika campaign.

The primer is correct for the case.

Edited by 14276265
detail added

Same opinion as the form of hard sign on end of the names by Fried?. Krup?  is typical more for bulgarian cyrilica as for russian.