Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Late WW1 Stalhelms

Casques of WW1

Hi everyone, 

There didn’t seem to be many chats on stalhelms on the forum and figured since I own an M18 stalhelm I might as well ask about the side lugs on mine. It has, instead of the more common tube like lugs, a tiered lug that has a stockier base and a tube protruding from it. Excuse my poor knowledge on m18 lugs ;) 

I know they aren’t particularly rare in that fashion but I’ve seen models of M18 in both lug styles 

image.jpg

Also it seems to have been painted inter war, but the origins are unclear so if anyone has ideas in why it is a greenish color then it’s always welcome! (Austro Hungarian, ww2 repaint, discoloration, etc)

All stalhelm came in multiple sizes, but the armour brow plate was only manufactured in one size. So for the larger sizes, the brow plate just clips on the lugs. For the smaller sizes these use the stepped lugs to secure the brow plate.

Also German helmets were often painted green while Austrian were brown. There seems to be variations in the green with 1918 helmets a darker green than 1916. 

Thanks! That definitely checks out as this one is one of the smaller sizes (I had to remove the liner even get the helmet to fit on my head)! It is interesting the helmet color variations in stalhelms. The Germans liked to use grey versus the Austrian’s tan/brown, but I thought I’ve seen examples of Austrian ones being more olive or green as well. Any ideas on Austrian color variation?