Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Self funding in 1915 to join up from INDIA

davidbohl

I was surprised to see this chap,  Pte 24494 James Walter Smaller KLR CWGC, had to save up his rupees to make his own way to the UK and join up. Did this situation change in India as the war progressed?

thanks

Dave

Civil & Military Gazette (Lahore) - Thursday 15 July 1915 

ANGLO-INDIANS AND THE PRESENT WAR.  

SIR,—The other day Capital announced that one of their staff, Mr. Kent Smith, an Anglo-Indian, had gone Home at his own expense to enlist, as the Indian Government and the Army in India would not accept the services of Anglo-Indians. Then there is the case of Mr. Walter Smaller. When war first broke out he threw up his job as travelling auditor of the S. I. Railway on 150 rupees a month and tried to enlist, but his efforts in this country were in vain. He was determined to show what an Anglo-Indian could do when the Empire needed the services of all her sons. He went to Bombay and got employment there and remained in this situation until he had saved up enough money to purchase his passage to England. There his patriotism was speedily rewarded, for the 4th King's Liverpool Regiment soon had him enlisted in their ranks. 

David,

I think you will find this was par for the course. Any patriotic Britisher making their way back to the British Isles would have to pay their own passage back to Albion. If they survived the war, they had the right to claim a free passage back whence they came. I think this gets a mention in one of the old Martin Gillott threads about recruitment.

The details of a man who travelled from Australia to the British Isles, who applied for his return passage to Australia.

Yes, that link I referred to can be navigated via the following thread

'The final post on the final page by Craig, taken from Hansard in November 1914 is of particular interest.'

1 hour ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I think you will find this was par for the course. Any patriotic Britisher making their way back to the British Isles would have to pay their own passage back to Albion

Thanks Keith, he must have been a determined man indeed, to leave one job, move to Bombay for another job, and save like mad.

He arrived in Liverpool as late as Mar 1915 and unfortunately died on the 1st day of the Somme.

Name
Mr J W Smaller
Birth
abt 1892
Departure
Karachi, Pakistan
Arrival
16 Mar 1915 Liverpool, England

2 hours ago, davidbohl said:

Pte 24494 James Walter Smaller KLR CWGC

His father, George Edward SMALLER, 53 Main Street, Perambur, Madras, claimed a dependant's pension [WFA/Fold3].

M

Edited by Matlock1418
source