Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sjt Hugh O’Neill, born Leith, 2nd Battalion Royal Highlanders (Black Watch), Service N° 3/8805

George Millar

Hugh O’Neill was born on the 9th July 1885 at N° 70 Giles Street, Leith South, Midlothian, Scotland, one of 5 children born to parents Hugh O’Neill & Catherine Myles. Hugh’s father Hugh was born in Ireland in about 1841 (although not known where in Ireland) to parents Thomas O’Neill & Rose McLean. Hugh’s mother Catherine was born on the 17th November 1848 in Leith South, Midlothian, Scotland to parents Terence Myles & Mary Reilly, both her parents being Irish.

Hugh & Catherine married on the 30th July 1875 in the Roman Catholic Chapel in Leith South and Hugh was living at N° 36 Sheriff Brae in Leith and working as a “Labourer” at the time. Catherine was living at N° 32 Giles Street in Leith and working as a “Factory Worker”.

Following their marriage the newly married couple then settled in Leith South to bring up their family. Their first child, a daughter who they named Mary O’Neill was born in 1877 but unfortunately she died in the same year. The following year 1878, Catherine gave birth to a son who they named Thomas O’Neill but unfortunately he died in the same year as his birth. Their third child, another son, John Joseph O’Neill was born in 1880 and he survived, finally dying in St Andrew’s, Dundee in 1947 at the age of 67 years old.

In the 1881 Scotland census, the family were living at N° 13 Darlings Brae in Leith South and father Hugh was now working as a “Coal Trimmer” which I believe was at the docks. Wikipedia gives the following:

Coal trimming was a role based at the docks that involved levelling out the coal in a ship's hold to ensure that the ship was safe to travel. Coal was transported to the docks via railway wagons and the coal was tipped into the ship. As the coal was loaded into a hold of the ship it would form a conical pile. This was unsafe for the ship to sail in case the coal moved to one side causing the ship to list and roll”.

In 1885 their son Hugh O’Neill was born, details as previously stated. The last member of the family was Terence O’Neill born in 1888. In the 1891 Scotland census the family had relocated to N° 56 Giles Street in Leith South and Hugh was working as a “Dock Labourer”. However, father Hugh died in 1891 at the age of 43 years old and following her husband’s death, Catherine remarried on the 6th June 1892 again in the Roman Catholic Chapel in Leith South to John Docherty.

Not much is known about John Docherty other than he was 37 years old when he married (born 1855), perhaps born in Ireland or perhaps in Scotland? His parents were William Docherty & Catherine McQuillan (I believe both Irish). However, I can’t find anything on them either. John & Catherine then relocated to Dundee as they are both recorded in the St Mary district of Dundee in the 1901 Scotland census. Unfortunately, I cannot find the other members of the family in the 1901 Scotland census, either in Leith or in Dundee.

As regards Hugh’s military service, what is known is that he enlisted into the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) Regiment with a Service N° 3/8805. I believe that he might have enlisted sometime in July 1902 on his 18th birthday (Service N° 3/8525 enlisted on the 2nd January 1902 & Service N° 3/9424 on the 13th January 1903). These service numbers were taken from Paul Nixon’s excellent Army Service Numbers 1881-1918 website. However, I could be wrong. I cannot find a 1911 census record for Hugh and I believe that he might have been posted to the 2nd battalion of the regiment in India at this time but I cannot establish this at this time. He was then possibly posted to the Army Reserve after his first term of service.

When war broke out in August 1914 I believe Hugh was in Scotland and was called up for service from the Army Reserve (although again I cannot prove this at this time). The 2nd battalion Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) were in Bareilly, India when war broke out as part of the Bareilly Brigade in the 7th (Meerut) Division but were summoned for service in France. They arrived at Marseilles on the 12th October 1914.

Hugh disembarked in France on the 5th December 1914 and was possibly in a draft of men to join the battalion to bring it back up to strength. There was a draft of 142 men that joined the battalion on the 14th December 1914 and another draft of 96 men on the 18th December 1914. I believe Hugh was in one of these drafts.

On the 8th May 1915 the battalion was to take part in an attack in the Battle of Aubers Ridge and they moved to the front line at Canal Bridge, Vielle-Chapelle. Then the following day, the 9th May they moved to the front trenches for an assault by No 2 Coy and No 4 Coy to be followed by No1 and No 3 Coy. Unfortunately things didn’t go to plan and the battalion was decimated by the German machine guns. The British bombardment had failed to damage the German’s first line trenches and they were then able to man their parapets in readiness for the assault.

The battalion’s casualties were listed as follows:

3 Officers killed

69 Other Ranks killed

4 Officers wounded

157 Other Ranks wounded

36 Other Ranks missing

The great majority of these casualties were due to bullet wounds. The war diary lists Sergt H O’Neill, Service N° 8805 in N° 4 Company during the attack. Hugh was one of the casualties and he would have first been treated for his wounds at a field post close to the front line, then down the evacuation chain before finally being sent to N° 2 Stationary Hospital in Boulogne. Unfortunately, Hugh died from his wounds on the 17th May 1915 and is now buried in the Boulogne Eastern Cemetery in Grave ref: VIII. D. 13.

I was wondering if the forum members could help with Hugh’s military service, filling in some of the unknowns and perhaps also his family history. Any information on him or his family would be appreciated.

Images courtesy of Ancestry & Scotland's People website

George Millar

Hugh O'Neill - 1885 Birth Record (Scotlands People) 002.jpg

John Docherty & Catherine Myles O'Neil - 1892 Marriage Record (Scotlands People) 002.jpg

Hugh O'Neil - UK, WW1 Service Medal & Award Rolls, 1914-1920.jpg

Hugh O'Neill - UK, WW1 Service Medal & Award Rolls, 1914-1920.jpg

War Diary 001.jpg

War Diary 002.jpg

Serjeant Hugh O'Neil.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

DUNDEE WOMAN HARD HIT. Mrs O’Neill, 80 Blackness Road, has been hard hit by the war, one of her sons having been killed and another taken prisoner.
Sergeant Hugh O’Neill [left], 2d Black Watch was wounded in the leg on 9th inst., and amputation was found to be necessary. Late the same night, however, he passed away. He expected to be home this week, and arrangements had been made for his marriage.
The prisoner of war is Private John O’Neill [right], 2d Gordon Highlanders. The Evening Telegraph and Post, Thursday, 20 May 1915,

Courtesy of Great War Dundee website

I have a great interest in Aubers Ridge as i collect medals to the Black Watch and i have several lads medals from this battle.

1st,2nd,4th and 5th Battalions were all involved and suffered heavy casualties

David

hugh-and-john-oneil.jpg

Such a shame he never made it home for he's marriage

David

11 hours ago, davidda16 said:

DUNDEE WOMAN HARD HIT. Mrs O’Neill, 80 Blackness Road, has been hard hit by the war, one of her sons having been killed and another taken prisoner.
Sergeant Hugh O’Neill [left], 2d Black Watch was wounded in the leg on 9th inst., and amputation was found to be necessary. Late the same night, however, he passed away. He expected to be home this week, and arrangements had been made for his marriage.
The prisoner of war is Private John O’Neill [right], 2d Gordon Highlanders. The Evening Telegraph and Post, Thursday, 20 May 1915,

Courtesy of Great War Dundee website

I have a great interest in Aubers Ridge as i collect medals to the Black Watch and i have several lads medals from this battle.

1st,2nd,4th and 5th Battalions were all involved and suffered heavy casualties

David

hugh-and-john-oneil.jpg

Aubers ridge and the black watch also interest me. 

I wrote a piece on the forums blog area about it 

Hello David & Derek,

Many thanks for the comments and extra information. 

David, thanks for the photos, I did have the photo of Hugh but not that of John. It always helps to somehow bring them to life again when you have a photo of someone who you are researching. As regards the marriage of Hugh, did it mention the name of his intended bride in the newspaper? That would be of interest to me. The info on John O'Neill is something I didn't have so I have another avenue of research on him. John or to give him his full name John Joseph O'Neill was born in 1880 in Leith South and on the 4th January 1904 married Mary King in St Andrew's Roman Catholic Chapel in Dundee. He survived the war but later died in 1947 aged 67 in Dundee. However, I didn't realise that he also served in WW1 so many thanks for the heads up. More research required on him.

Derek, I'll have a read of your blog and probably have a better understanding of what went on.

Thanks once again.

George

Tried to find the service records for John O'Neil (O'Neill) who was listed as a "Prisoner of War" in the local newspaper (see comment from davidda16 above) and came up with the following but am not sure if this is him or not. I've ruled out a few other John O'Neil, Gordon Highlanders that don't seem to fit.

Private John O'Neil, Service N° 7008. He served in the Boer War with the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders and then transferred to the Army Reserve just after, In WW1 he must have been called up for service as he disembarked in France with the 1st battalion on the 13th August 1914 and became a "Prisoner of War" according to his Medal Rolls Index Card. However, on checking the International Red Cross records they list him as James O'Neil and not John and also he was with the 1st battalion and not the 2nd battalion as in "The Evening Telegraph and Post, Thursday, 20 May 1915".  Unfortunately there is not much info on the Red Cross records. Could this be him? Any comments anyone.

George

John O'Neil - UK, British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920.jpg

James O'Neil, Gordon Highlanders -International Red Cross Ref - PA 1164.JPG

I was going to say by the look of his uniform and medal he looks like he was in Boer war

David,

I totally agree with your comment but there isn't much information on him to confirm if he's the right man or not. There is a pension card for him which lists his place of residence as Dundee and his rank is listed as a "Telegraphist". Unfortunately I don't have access to the card to see if it gives any more detail on him. Many thanks for your post.

George 

J O'Neill - UK, Military Campaign Medal & Award Rolls, 1793-1949.jpg