Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Hudson - help please

ChrisC

I have been asked for help with this casualty.

31146 Corporal Frederick James Hudson, 18th Hussars. Enlisted Feb 1916. KIA 20/11/1917. Reported as buried "South of Trescault in an unmarked grave".

I can't find the individual in Trescault CWGC Cemeteries or on the site as a casualty.

Any helpo appreciated

C

He is listed as F. J. Smith rather than Hudson. Unit is 13th Hussars rather than 18th, which is a bit strange becasue I thought they were in Mesopotamia by this time. Perhaps a typographical/scanning error in the CWGC database?

Name: SMITH

Initials: F J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: 13th Hussars

Date of Death: 21/11/1917

Service No: 31146

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. B. 18.

Cemetery: FLESQUIERES HILL BRITISH CEMETERY

Thanks for you fast reply, NS. Do you know of any reason why he should be "Smith"?

Is it possible that they are different folks as they come from the time of Regimental numbers rather than Army numbers? Could our 18th Hussars Hudson also have the same number as someone in the 13th?

The person who contacted me got the details of burial from the Marquis de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour - must admit not heard of it - and quoted chapter and verse. Odd.

Thanks again, any more info much appreciated.

Chris C

There is no FJ Hudson with 31146 as a regimental number on the online MICs

Andy

If the "Smith" version of this soldier is the right one, he is also listed in "Soldiers Died in the Great War", as a member of the 18th Hussars.

It might help Chris to check that "Smith" is the right one if I give the full entry:

31146 Lance Corporal F. J. Smith 18th Hussars

Born Bedford

Enlisted Doncaster

Residence Doncaster

Killed in Action 21.11.17, France and Flanders.

Tom

Thank you all. I'll pass on your information to the lady who asked me to help.

Chris C

Chris

de Ruvigny's has Frederick James Hudson as born in Marston, near Ampthill, Co Bedford so same area as Frederick J Smith. Also the maiden name of his mother was Smith. Although his parents were married in 1870 and had at least 8 children before him. Per the 1901 Census he is still living with them at Woodend, Marston as Frederick Hudson.

May be he fell out with his father at some time after 1901 and took his mother's maiden name.

Pam

Thanks Pam. I've passed on the information. The lady concerned is researching her family so this will all be useful.

C