Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold Watson R.N. - Medals forfeit for desertion?

Sarbec

I have just started going through my family ancestry and my grandad served in the navy in the 1ww

he served on vivid 1 ,bacchant, agammenon ,pembroke,and emperor of india 

looks like in 1919 he deserted guess he had enough

I have the record found the record for his service 1848/1939 but im having real difficulty reading it my question is

could anyone on here read it with more experience of reading these , were any medals issued to him or would they be taken off him for deserting?

his name was Harold Stennying Watson which is quite an unusual name

image.png.be83c35916436074f326f22cdef9ff12.png

• kenf48 changed the title to Harold Watson R.N. - Medals forfeit for desertion?

The RN Ratings' Medal Roll - ADM 171/118 (Page 254) - records that his trio of WW1 medals were forfeited for desertion but later restored by the Admiralty (Ref. NP 23557/23) and issued to the War Office on 15 January 1924 by which time he had re-enlisted in the Royal Garrison Artillery.

He deserted from HMS EMPEROR OF INDIA on 20 July 1919 and was recovered from desertion on 14 January 1920. After serving a sentence of detention he was discharged "Invalided" on 16 June 1920.

Edited by horatio2

Thank you very much for that is it possible to get his medals or is yhat impossible 

thank you again 

Ivor Watson 

His medals have already been issued and, unless sold. or disposed of, should be with his family.. You can purchase replica medals from medal dealers e,g, https://www.worcmedals.com/

His group was the  1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

thanks for the above information is it possible to find out what conflicts if any he could of been in on any of the ships he served on 

thanks in advance

I notice on his ADM 188 immediately under his name Watson a note - Spc(?) Trace F14012.

Might this be an RNAS ON?

42 minutes ago, Sarbec said:

thanks for the above information is it possible to find out what conflicts if any he could of been in on any of the ships he served on 

thanks in advance

A simple google search for each ship is often very informative. For example he served on HMS Bacchante 18th June 1915 - 10th January 1916. According to Wikipedia before and during this period  Bacchante was operating in the Gallipoli Campaign  supporting the ANZAC landings and other operations returning home late in 1916.

Edited by Lawryleslie

HMS HEROIC -

• HMS Heroic – Launched 1906; ABS from 18 November 1914 to 6 July 1920; troop transport July 1917 to January 1918. Armed Boarding Vessel/Steamer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_boarding_steamer

From November 1917 he was drafted to Malta, where the base and barracks were HMS EGMONT. Apart from his 1918 service on the ship's company of the ABS HMS HEROIC, he was borne on the books of EGMONT until August 1919 when he returned to UK at Chatham Barracks (HMS PEMBROKE). His first few months with EGMONT, however, shows him serving in an "SSV" - a Special Service Vessel (un-named) which was probably a utility boat used at and around Malta.