Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henri Roche Listening Post

KIRKY

Looking at East Surrey Bn who were here in Jan 1916, anyone know where that is?

tony

• Admin

Presumably the war diary should give you their general location? 

I have just got a medal to a casualty 25/1/1916 died 25th Jan 1916 with 8th East Surreys and diary says 2 casualties there on that date . It looks to somewhere on lines facing Fricourt.

Tony

The January 1916 WD of 8 East Surrey (WO 95/2050/1 18 Div/55 Infantry Brigade) refers to Listening Posts near the German Tambour, which rang bells with me. The Tambour was on the Western Edge of Fricourt and is shown on maps that are on this thread. https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/289758-triple-tambour-fricourt/?tab=comments#comment-3007398

I will have a look through the other Unit WDs of 55 IB. 

Brian

Hi yes believe it was near there I have been lucky enough to go in the Tambour and walk around it would love to know where this post is in relation to the Tambour

Tony

Hi Tony

A Listening Post but is it above ground or under, just my thoughts. If above, I would surmise that it is a forward Sap, leading out from the British Tambour. Of course, it may have been re-named, but if I may a suggestion. Looking at this sector as regards 1915, have you explored the French Genie Tunnelling Companies War Diaries, very active in the Tambour Duclos from an underground perspective. May, just may, give you a few pointers.

Chris

This map is from the July 1916 WD of 54 Infantry Brigade. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2041.

There are Observation Posts and Fortified Craters opposite the Tambour. 

Brian

54 IB 2041.jpg

18 hours ago, KIRKY said:

I have just got a medal to a casualty 25/1/1916 died 25th Jan 1916 with 8th East Surreys and diary says 2 casualties there on that date . It looks to somewhere on lines facing Fricourt.

Tony

The WD of 8 East Surrey 25/01/1916. We now know that 8 Bn is the one we are after. All we need to do now is find out where it was.

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2050.

Brian

2050.jpg

According to the WD of 7 Queens Royal West Surrey 23/01/1916 it was they that were relieved by 8 East Surreys in D 3. 

This map from the WD of 18 Div HQ shows Sector D 3. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2015. 

There are some French maps in the September 1915 WD of 153 Infantry Brigade (51 Div) that show the line from La Boisselle to Fricourt. This is from the southern page showing the Tambour as Duclas. I was hoping that Henri Roche would be marked but no luck. Best I can do. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2869.

Brian

18 HQ 2015.jpg

153 IB 2869.jpg

Thanks guys that really helps , I am on the Somme in 2 weeks time and hope to visit the Tambour mines.

Tony

• Admin

I’ve just been looking at Google Earth, planning a trip,  and the whole Fricourt area seems greatly changed. The access to Point 110 New cemetery is different, there are two new roundabouts on the Albert -Peronne Rd and the track that used to lead to Fricourt New Military Cemetery is gone. 

20 hours ago, KIRKY said:

Thanks guys that really helps , I am on the Somme in 2 weeks time and hope to visit the Tambour mines.

Tony

Tony

Look at the link I posted on Sunday. Forum Member @ddavidd80 is the owner of the wood where the Tambour was. You might want to contact him before you go.

Brian

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Tony

Look at the link I posted on Sunday. Forum Member @ddavidd80 is the owner of the wood where the Tambour was. You might want to contact him before you go.

Brian

Hi Brian , thanks for that link have already met David last year a really nice guy,

Tony