Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch Memorial Dundee

nemesis

The Black Watch memorial at Powrie Brae Dundee , Scotland. In this outstanding memorial the Soldier Looks over Dundee

post-3477-1114073877.jpg

Nice photograph. The sculptor was Scott Sutherland who was responsible for the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge and also a few smaller memorials around Dundee and Angus.

Nice photograph.  The sculptor was Scott Sutherland who was responsible for the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge and also a few smaller memorials around Dundee and Angus.

Thanks for info,Its certainally well placed in Powrie Brae which commands magnificent views over Dundee

Would you happen to know the date for this memorial and the inscription on the pedestal?

Chris

let me have your email address and I will get a picture of the plate for you.The Memorial is for the 4th and 5th battalions mainly for WW2 but like any memorial it will remember conflicts in any era,the flowers in front of the picture are on a plinth dedicated to a soldier who died in a recent conflict

Just out of interest - was the recent conflict Northern Ireland? I'm interested in memorials which have been updated.

Swizz

Just out of interest - was the recent conflict Northern Ireland? I'm interested in memorials which have been updated.

Swizz

It didnt say which conflict it was , only that it was dedicated to a soldier of the modern army who died recently, I think it was placed there by his family

Would you happen to know the date for this memorial and the inscription on the pedestal?

Chris

picture of plate on Black Watch Memorial

post-3477-1114376621.jpg

A super book on the Angus Battalion of the Black Watch in WW2 is ' The Spirit of Angus ' by Col J D MacGregor. Available from the Black Watch Museum, Balhousie Castle , Perth.

Aye

Malcolm