Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vickers Experts Required please.

Mark Finneran

I have had for some time these two belts. Maybe those who still adore the vickers have seen these but in my 40 years I have not seen that many! 2 in fact 🤪. I would be very keen to know if any member has seen these. A larger brass tab and clearly originally 80 rd belts converted to 250 rds. Due to a larger tab, winter use, aircraft use, tank use?  The unit marking is not so obvious to me either. Many thanks. Belts and brass all in superb condition. The stains are from sellotape!

IMG_7351.jpeg

IMG_7352.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

IMG_7358.jpeg

IMG_7359.jpeg

Mark,

T / 4 SOM / 110 would appear to refer to the 4th (Territorial) Bn of Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry), although the abbreviation should strictly be ST. for Somerset.

The "O" is overstruck on "W"?

Regards,

JMB

JMB huge thanks.  Yes the O is definitely stamped ontop.   So if indeed this is the unit it eliminates air or tank use I guess. Unless the unit stamping came later when it was made into 250 rd length belts. The only other option perhaps is the days of .455 maxim or converted to .303 so an early belt…but  then the year stamps don’t help!

Mark

Mark,

I should note that if this T / 4 SOM / 110 had appeared on a bayonet pommel, us bayonet aficionados would interpret the "110" as the rifle or rack number.

This was because of the mass-manufacturing slight dimensional differences which meant that any given bayonet might fit loosely / tightly / perfectly on any given SMLE rifle; the rack/rifle number was intended to keep the well-matching bayonet/rifle pairings together.

In this MG-belt situation, the "rifle/rack" nomenclature is a little more obscure; obviously not a 110-cartridge belt, since it is also marked for 250-rounds.

Regards,

JMB

Regarding the Unit marking, methinks the O is stamped over an errant upside down letter M. Technically not marked according to regulations as noted by JMB, should be ST for Somerset.

But anyway not much doubt it is for the 4th Somerset Light Infantry. In this case of the odd belt, it might be important to note that this Battalion only served in India, and then later in Mesopotamia during those dates marked on the brass.

The older style Maxim converted may indeed be the reason for these longer belts, considering this unit's service in such far-flung conflicts. 

Cheers,  SS 

As ever superb information. Just need to find other similar patterns to add to this story.

many thanks.

At least the Imperial German maxim belts were less imaginative 😊. Much easier for the collector!

Mark