Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn KOYLI movements after 7 May 1915?

kerry

Hello All,

Since 2004 (when I first posted on this Forum, more or less) I've been researching my lost great uncle MIA at the disastrous and unsupported attack from Trench 41 straight into the German lines at the little-known Zwarteleen Salient NNE of Hill 60 in the early hours of 7 May 1915. Mainly the actions of his unit, 2nd Bn KOYLI, although not sure whether Albert Lamb was A or B Company.

All I know is that they were apparently billeted in a barn and farmstead in Ouderdom from 5 May onwards, they then deployed from there via a route unknown to me, and into the 7 May attack - but I can't find any info as to what the 2nd Bn did then, or what was left of them after the May 7th attack - did the survivors stay in the line until relieved or were they immediately pulled out, and if so, where were they for the next week or so after May 7th 1915?

Any pointers gratefully appreciated.

Edited by kerry

• kerry changed the title to 2nd Bn KOYLI movements after 7 May 1915?

Hi Michelle, thanks for your rapid response.  The link takes me to a page that wants £3.50 so I'll pay up.

HI michelle please ignore the above.  I signed in and it is indeed free. I need a lie-down :(

Thanks again Micheel - much appreciated.

Looks like they stayed in or near the line and were pulled back to Ouderdom/Sappertown on 10 may, spending a few days there on R & R, alhtough the handwriting is vey hard to decypher.