Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Collins VC, DCM - Welsh Horse

Richard C Pendry

I am researching John Collins as part of  YT documentary. He was a member of the Welsh Horse Yeomanry that was amalgamated with the RWF as dismounted cavalry. He won his VC and DCM in Palestine. The only pictures I can find of him is him wearing a WH cap badge. Can anyone shed any light on why he didn't wear the RWF badge? 

Somebody who knows more about Welsh Horse than I, will , I am sure answer your question

The details that are needed are, from Ancestry

collins1.jpg.04633a017e221b82c35251dfd93abcc2.jpg

collins2.jpg.fd9d699fa3fa5ae561383b07c8744959.jpg

collins3.jpg.5d910220b5bffa1d04318d82119f075f.jpg

From the Long Long Trail, under Royal Welsh Fusiliers 

25th (Montgomeryshire & Welsh Horse Yeomanry) Battalion
16 December 1916: this date appears in service records of men bring transferred into this unit.
4 March 1917 : formed in Egypt from dismounted Montgomeryshire and Welsh Horse Yeomanry and came under orders of 231st Brigade, 74th (Yeomanry) Division.
Moved to France in late May 1918, landing at Marseilles on the ship “Malwa” on 7 June.

16 hours ago, Richard C Pendry said:

The only pictures I can find of him is him wearing a WH cap badge. Can anyone shed any light on why he didn't wear the RWF badge? 

Richard, curious why you presume he never wore the RWF cap badge?  Finding one photo of him in a WH uniform doesn’t suggest this.  He would have changed uniform when he transferred.  Cap badge, button and shoulder titles as a minimum.  Does the photo  look like it was taken in the UK? It was common and a a lot easier to get a photograph in the UK before deployment.  When overseas the opportunities for photos were more challenging, not impossible but fighting in the field and austere rear areas did not always allow for such luxuries. Equally i believe he only transferred to the RWF in early March 1917 thus reducing the time period available for him to get a photo in RWF rig. 

I presume you have this photo from the Daily Mirror Dec 19th 1917.  A Uk photo I would venture:

IMG_0568.jpeg.a4a70206364a0b754043026860326c40.jpeg

The only photo with a cap badge that I can find is this one

photo-vc2.jpg.a85205eff48c0efe2fc01719241b3d06.jpg