Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.I.G.A (S)

Benjidog

Hopefully this is a very simple question to answer ...

I am documenting an explosion that took place at W.E. Blake's filling factory at Shepherd's Bush on 31 October 1918 in which 13 people lost their lives.

I have accessed the relevant file at the National Archives but do not understand one of the abbreviations used in it and hope someone can help. The file refers to D.I.G.A. (S) which I believe was a department responsible for the examination of munitions, but what does the acronym stand for?

Thanks for you help.

Brian

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

I will be putting the research I am doing online when finished (a good few months yet!) and will publish a link in this forum. It is a history of White City at Shepherd's Bush and there is a page about the involvement of the area in WW1.

Brian

9 hours ago, 14276265 said:

I assume you are aware of the memorial at Margravine Cemetery, Hammersmith, to the workers killed in the explosion?

Blake's Munitions War Memorial, Margravine Cemetery, Non Civil Parish - 1437915 | Historic England

Good morning Old Sweat.

Yes I found that link and visited the memorial to take a photo to add to the website when I visited London a couple of weeks ago. It is good to see that someone still remembers and has left a tribute.

Brian

MargravineMemorial.jpg

Edited by Benjidog