Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial..for who ..?

Sgt_Hazell_Great_Grandson

I wonder if anybody knows what the memorial in Rayleigh is to. Also was "it up-dated " after the end of WW1.

The picture was taken in Rayleigh highstreet . The memorial is behind the 16th K.R.R.C band in 1915.The memorial still stands.

Many thanks, Roland.

post-6634-1114067055.jpg

I wonder if anybody knows what the memorial in Rayleigh is to. Also was  "it up-dated " after the end of WW1.

The picture was taken in Rayleigh highstreet . The memorial is behind the  16th K.R.R.C band in 1915.The memorial still stands.

Many thanks, Roland.

Roland - it isn't a war memorial. It was erected in 1908 and it's The Martyrs' Memorial, in memory of four local Protestant martyrs, who were executed during the reign of Queen Mary. They were burned at the stake, two in Rayleigh High Street and two in Smithfield Market, London.

On the "front" of the memorial:

NEAR THIS SPOT SUFFERED FOR THE TRUTH THOMAS CAUSTON 26 MAR 1555 JOHN ARDELEY 10 JUNE 1555 WHO IN REPLY TO Bp. BONNER SAID: ''IF EVERY HAIR OF MY HEAD WERE A MAN, I WOULD SUFFER DEATH IN THE OPINION AND FAITH I NOW PROFESS'' Thy Word is Truth

The other three faces read:

ERECTED 1908 BY PROTESTANTS OF RAYLEIGH AND DISTRICT. The noble army of Martyrs praise Thee.

ALSO TO COMMEMORATE ROBERT DRAKES, MINISTER OF THUNDERSLEY AND

WILLIAM TYMS, CURATE OF HOCKLEY, BOTH SUFFERED IN ONE FIRE AT SMITHFIELD, 24 APRIL 1556.

Tom (whose son lives in Rayleigh.)

Thanks for that information. Not a good way to die.

Do you have a link to a picture of the memorial today ?

I have tried a google search but have not been lucky

Thanks , regards , Roland.