Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JAS TRAYNOR 2/CPL 209074 RE

Debbi

Looking for any information on JAS TRAYNOR.

THESE NUMBERS ARE ON MEDALS I FOUND 

209O74     209074-2

• kenf48 changed the title to JAS TRAYNOR CPL 209074 RE
  • Admin

Welcome to the GWF

James Traynor served in the Corps of Royal Engineers in the Great War and was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/

His service record does not appear to have survived.

Suggest you post what biographical information you have and your interest in this soldier

• kenf48 changed the title to JAS TRAYNOR 2/CPL 209074 RE

He shows up in the 1918 Absent Voter lists for Lewisham, serving as a Corporal with the Royal Engineers. I can only see the transcription, but the original document should list his home address at the time. Unfortunately a look at the 1911 England and Wales census for a James Traynor living in Lewisham doesn't produce any obvious candidates, the closest match in terms of location being a 10-year old James Traynor then living in Bermondsey with his parents and siblings. This I suspect is the following birth registered in the third quarter of 1900, which would make him barely old enough to have seen active service in any capacity during WW1.

TRAYNOR, JAMES  CHRYSOCTOM       Mother's maiden name: OLIVER      
GRO Reference: 1900  S Quarter in ST SAVIOUR SOUTHWARK LONDON  Volume 01D  Page 26

If you can extract the address from the 1918 Absent Voters list, then a look at the 1921 England and Wales census might be more instructive in trying to trace him.

Edited by Tawhiri

From his number, he would have attested in October 1916. Do you know if he had anything to do with horses in civilian life?
TR