Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Length of Training Period for New Volunteer in 1914

petermuir

I have found it difficult to find out when this volunteer joined the army in 1914.

I have a postcard dated July 26, 1914 postmarked Selkirk which reported that the soldier's training period was coming to an end. 

This got me to thinking that if I 'knew' the typical length of time that a new soldier received I could get a rough idea of when he joined the army.

Which would be super.

By way of background

His name was James Bonnington, private HLI, army number 13330.
I have his details regarding his subsequent commission with a different regiment and his subsequent dismissal from the service for drunkeness.

Regarding his service as a private with the HLI I made a FOI to the MOD and TNA but neither could help.

Grateful to receive the help and guidance from forum members.

• Admin

Most numbers were allotted in chronological order so it will probably be easier to estimate his enlistment date from his number.

I'm not familiar with pre war training programmes, perhaps others are.

Regards

Russ

• Admin

The Special Reserve, 3rd and 4th Battalions of the HLI had their own numbering systems so he might have been with one of them. It will take a little work to confirm or not that possibility. 

Russ

My GF enlisted on 7th September 1914 and embarked for France on 17th July 1915, so his training seemed to have taken 9 months.  Don't know if that helps.