Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hornaby on Tees Yorkshire UK

stevenbecker

Mates,

Sorry about this but more your area then mine

Was was looking at what TF units were around this area to see where a soldier may have served before the AIF

His details are;

Herbert Edward    2424    Pte    01 LHR    16R to 1 LHTR 6-16 tos A Sqn B Troop 7-16 WIA 3-11-17 back & abdomen shot reported 16 killed and 43 wounded during fighting at Khuweilfeh RTA wounded for change disch 1-5-18 MU

(British Yorkshire TF 10 years)  

Blacksmith    33    Sydney NSW    Enl 3-1-16    RTA 14-2-18    NoK Hornaby on Tees Yorkshire UK

From what I can see Hornaby is near Middlesbrough but from what I can see on the Long Long Trail, no British Regts come from around there.

So some one more knowage needs to check that out to at lest give me some idea of who was around there?

Of cause was he Infantry, Yeomanry or some other is yet to be confirmed.

But I need a start point

Thornaby on Tees, surely.

59 minutes ago, stevenbecker said:

Mates,

Sorry about this but more your area then mine

Was was looking at what TF units were around this area to see where a soldier may have served before the AIF

His details are;

Herbert Edward    2424    Pte    01 LHR    16R to 1 LHTR 6-16 tos A Sqn B Troop 7-16 WIA 3-11-17 back & abdomen shot reported 16 killed and 43 wounded during fighting at Khuweilfeh RTA wounded for change disch 1-5-18 MU

(British Yorkshire TF 10 years)  

Blacksmith    33    Sydney NSW    Enl 3-1-16    RTA 14-2-18    NoK Hornaby on Tees Yorkshire UK

From what I can see Hornaby is near Middlesbrough but from what I can see on the Long Long Trail, no British Regts come from around there.

So some one more knowage needs to check that out to at lest give me some idea of who was around there?

Of cause was he Infantry, Yeomanry or some other is yet to be confirmed.

But I need a start point

Looking at his service records, which did not help as you did include his Surname 

his next of kin is showing as thornaby on Tees, so you will need to look at the Territorial Force based in Middlesbrough 

Sorry, it should have read ‘you  did not include his surname’

This man appears on the 1911 England census

He appears on an Ancestry family tree
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/12570778/person/48579366048/facts

2424 Herbert Edward Parnaby enlisted, and swore an oath on 3 January 1916.

Parnaby.JPG.e320ac0e785f06f7ab27209c1115faa5.JPG

As per prior comments, which are consistently ignored regarding AIF men with TF or VF service

it is highly improbable that his service prior to 1914 will have survived.

Sorry you missed the question.

Yes he claims 10 years service in a Yorkshire TF before moving to Australia 

Yes he claims TF not VF, so I am unsure here Keith

Since he is 33, that must mean some time around 1900 to 1914 he served

Yes I was after what TF units were around  Hornaby on Tees, I must have asked incorrectly for you to pick that up?

I checked all Yorkshire named units, but could not notice what units were around that area?

Sorry Keith but not being a member I can't see Ancestry

I just need a start point, meaning what TF units were around that area 

Durham Light Infantry 1/5th and 2/5th Stockton on Tees. A stones throw from Thornaby

It would appear that the Territorial Northumbrian (Heavy) Royal Garrison Artillery had a battery at Thornaby.

Steve

8 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Sorry you missed the question.

Yes he claims 10 years service in a Yorkshire TF before moving to Australia 

Yes he claims TF not VF, so I am unsure here Keith

Since he is 33, that must mean some time around 1900 to 1914 he served

Yes I was after what TF units were around  Hornaby on Tees, I must have asked incorrectly for you to pick that up?

I checked all Yorkshire named units, but could not notice what units were around that area?

Sorry Keith but not being a member I can't see Ancestry

I just need a start point, meaning what TF units were around that area 

If it was a Yorkshire TF then 5th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment, based in Middlesbrough at Lytton street I think, was part of the Durham and Yorkshire Brigade. I'm presuming you can find him on the Anzac website?

There was a Drill Hall in Thornaby on Tees (see map below) where Parnaby resided

if it can be established which unit or units trained there then you may have some clues regarding Parnaby's pre war TF service

1786940289_thornaby2.JPG.6671da2aa619acfb7ef933cc59bd6c8f.JPG

The drill hall project lists    Link

North Riding of Yorkshire (First) Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) No 3 Battery - Possibly Gladstone street. 

which would have become Territorial's after the 1906 Haldan reforms

which would  corresponds with Steve's post above

of course without any documental   evidence, the unit Parnaby  served with pre war would be only guesswork

Ray

55 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

There was a Drill Hall in Thornaby on Tees (see map below) where Parnaby resided

if it can be established which unit or units trained there then you may have some clues regarding Parnaby's pre war TF service

1786940289_thornaby2.JPG.6671da2aa619acfb7ef933cc59bd6c8f.JPG

The drill hall project lists    Link

North Riding of Yorkshire (First) Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) No 3 Battery - Possibly Gladstone street. 

which would have become Territorial's after the 1906 Haldan reforms

which would  corresponds with Steve's post above

of course without any documental   evidence, the unit Parnaby  served with pre war would be only guesswork

Ray

Yes I agree, without any practical information it is all conjecture...I've seen the attestation form and the writing for previous service is quite illegible, no matter how I tried to alter the image...

Cheers,

Yes I just needed a start point to check units, many thanks for that it lest I have a few to check on in his area.

99 % of all TF seam to go to the local units to them.