Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War - perspectives on WW1

Adrian Roberts

Does anyone have any comments on this book? I was looking through it in WHSmiths and it looked interesting - a collection of essays on various aspects of the war - Langemark, the Somme, War in the Air, etc.

I don't necessarly want a blow-by-blow account of the war; I like to explore the issues but I don't have time to read whole books on one subject [would help if I didn't spend so long on this forum!]. Clearly the quality will vary due to using different authors. But before I commit money and time, does anyone have a comment on the general accuracy/objectivity; is the book pushing a particular view, e.g. in the Traditional vs Revisionist debate?

Adrian

I have the book [even know one of the contributors] and although it is a little pricey I believe it to be a worthwhile purchase for the wide range of articles from a strong base of well-known contributors.

Adrian

As noted, the book is a collection of essays on a wide range of issues. I particularly enjoyed the information about lesser known battles, such as the first battle of Artois and the action between the French and German forces in the Ardennes during the Battle of the Frontiers. It is not an ideal book for someone new to the Great War because the essays have been written about unusual aspects of the war. I would not characterise it as Revisionist (in the sense that Haig was/is ill-understood, often maligned, etc, etc) or Traditionalist (the Donkeys view).

The articles are well-written but the overall style of the book may not be to everyone's taste. I would strongly recommend that you browse again before buying. It may not be too long before it appears in bargain book stores.

Robert

Robert, "Borden"

Thanks for your replies. I will take this advice into account!

Adrian

I thought the book was an excellent read . I first found it in a local library but after reading most of it i felt I should add it to my own Library. I picked up a ecellent copy for a pitience on Half.Com Tag