Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Main De Massiges

PRL

La Main De Massiges reconstructed trenches are an incredibly sobering stop. Not close to the Somme but worth the drive. I was there last week.  They have been excavated and restored by a local association. Does anyone know the significance of the bottles upside down in front of the headstones? 

9CE7E0CA-B86C-4CFB-ACA8-7ADCB4181DF1.jpeg

1A905562-07C1-4F96-B9EB-1728FAC8AC84.jpeg

254FA1F3-AC81-4214-835C-BC79E58907B3.jpeg

The bottles contained a paper with the details of the burial. It was a very common practice during the First World War as wooden crosses could be destroyed by artillery fire or by the weather. A sealed bottle could still reveal the identity of the burial. A lot of German burials were identified by this bottle in the 1950s during the concentrations in Flanders.

Jan

• Admin

I visited the Main when I was staying near Reims last year, a remarkable experience.

Welcome to the forum PRL and thanks for the photographs. The Main is definitely on my list having been highly recommended in the past by some of our French forum friends. If it gets the Michelle seal of approval that makes me want to get a new passport photo.

Pete.

• Admin

IMG_1846.jpeg

IMG_1824.jpeg

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg

Excellent Michelle (and happy birthday). I think @Sly posted one of the Main which looked like a snow scene because the chalk was so white; it was the post that piqued my interest.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

The Main de Massiges is my favorite site to visit on the Western Front; I visited it a number of times until my annual trips to France stopped in 2015.  I should add that it is very close to the Argonne Forest and relatively close to Verdun.  In my opinion, it is well worth a trip to that area.

Torrey