Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal Forman (Tank Corps)

TMPJ

Dear all,

I am hoping that you might be able to (once more) help me correctly identify a member of the Tank Corps (E Battalion), and help me with my research.

I am trying to find out any further information about a Lance Corporal Forman who was part of the crew of the tank Edward II (E40) and involved in the fighting at Flesquieres Ridge at the Battle of Cambrai.

I currently believe that this might have been a man called Hubert Henry Forman, but would be grateful if anyone could help establish that this is the case (or suggest any other candidates).

Forman helped form a strong point in a captured German trench with his commander, Lt. Bion before being reinforced by the 51st Highlanders.

Many thanks,
Tobias

Hubert Henry Forman on the medal roll as Pte 78429 and 5th Tank Corps  (E Battalion) It notes he was PoW from 16/4/1917! He has a pension card giving him as being from Trimoldby, South Lincs.

There are two other Forman on the rolls.

Pte Thomas Richard Forman 201147  6th Battalion - presumed dead 23/6/1918 (previously 38601 MGC)

Pte John Forman 91207 9th Battalion.

There are a number of Foreman as well.

Lance Corporal official rank likely to be Private in the records.

Hubert Henry 78429 was captured at Meteren, born 1894. B Coy Tank corps.

Meteren being around 100km from Flesquires.

• Admin

Would E Battalion equate to 5th Battalion? If so there is an acting / sergeant Arthur Foreman 91689 Tank Corps on FMP.

3 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Would E Battalion equate to 5th Battalion? If so there is an acting / sergeant Arthur Foreman 91689 Tank Corps on FMP.

Yes 5th = E

Original Companies were letters, then expanded into Battalions. You can see on the Tank Corps medal rolls 5TC which equates with E  Battalion. 

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for your assistance with this, and apologies for my delayed response.

Yes, as David has already confirmed E Battalion equates to 5th Battalion.

I can definitely place my Foreman at Amiens, which would rule out Hubert Henry Foreman if he has been interned as a POW. However, Arthur Foreman is a possible lead.

All warmest, and many thanks,

Tobias