Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wound Stripes

stuart rowles

Does anyone know if there are any lists for those who were issues with a wound stripe in WW1.

Fold3 has one I think

To wear a wound stripe you had to have been published in an official casualty list. These were printed in The Times until the Spring of 1917 and then in an official HMSO publication in Aug 1917.

Regional newspapers gleaned the information and repeated it.

National Library of Scotland has the HMSO publications for free.

TheGenealogist has a paid subscription that allows a search or browsing The Times (sometimes just a transcription) and the HMSO.

TEW

The Times Index is available at many libraries free & even access at home for some counties.

6 hours ago, stuart rowles said:

Does anyone know if there are any lists for those who were issues with a wound stripe in WW1

Apologies for being pedantic, but do you want to know those to whom they were physically issued, or those who were entitled?

The criteria would have been appearance in the Official Casualty List as already stated. But not eveyone wounded in the opening years of the war would have been still alive or still in the service by the time the wearing of wound stripes was sanctionned in July 1916. Even after that date some of the wounded might subsequently succumb to their wounds relatively shortly afterwards but appear first as wounded in the Official Casualty List before a change of status to "Previously reported wounded, now reported died of wounds" - I doubt wound stripes in such a scenario was a top priority.

Those men in captivity who were entitled probably didn't get to wear them until they were released - and of course not all would come home.

So you have those who appear in the Official Casualty List and were entitled to wound stripes, of which a subset would have been physically issued with wound stripes.

It would be very unlikely there are any surviving records of those to whom were issued. At best for an individual soldier there might be something in a surviving service \ pension record that implies they were issued. For those without a surviving service \ pension record and who appear as Wounded in the Official Casualty List then the assumption would have to be they received their stripe(s).

Cheers,
Peter

I am interested in all men with the name ROWLES that would have qualified for a wound stripe.

I can see the odd one where I have a photo of the man in uniform but would like to know if possible everyone who was entitled.

STUART

If the criteria is simply qualified regardless of whether they ever wore them then it would be a question of going through the full official casualty lists. However to qualify they would have had to have been serving in a Theatre of War, and so for those serving in the ranks they should have a MiC. Only for the officers might you find a wounding reference but no MiC, reflecting that no medals were applied for.

I see from the Devon Library service that they don't mention Gale Resources - that would give you home access to The Times Digitial Archive where the Official Casualty lists up till early summer 1917 includes Other Ranks.

From late summer 1917 the Official Weekly Casualty Lists on the National Library of Scotland website have already been linked to above. Yes there is a gap!

The full Official Casualty Lists I believe also appeared in The Scotsman, which can be seen on the British Newspaper Archive website. Can't guarantee BNA cover the full war period for that title - not something I've had cause to look for.

Good luck with your search,
Peter

This looks like a lengthy search.

I was hoping there may have been a single list. I hope I don't sound too naive.

STUART

A paid up online resource I use shows 72 instances of ROWLES in the official Casualty Lists. This is both the earlier lists in The Times and the later HMSO publication.

That won't be the total number as my resource omits four months in 1917 and ends in May 1918.

There's always scope for transcription or original errors as well.

I've always struggled to search the NLS site and can't focus on the page results anyway.

Yes, Devon libraries and Torbay libraries ended Gale Resources some years ago. I'd add the search function for The Times was awful.

I think it's been mentioned but I doubt all the 72 I mentioned wore a stripe.

Some possibly died of wounds, those that went through hospital treatment and were discharged are unlikely to have worn a stripe unless they remained in uniform.

It was actually acceptable to wear the stripe on civilian clothes but I've not seen a photo of such.

There are odd events that turn up here. Photos of men with 2 or 3 stripes but no corresponding casualty list.

Or, men that are known to have been wounded but don't have a stripe.

Occasionally you see an entry in a service file relating to the eligibility for a wound stripe but I'd say these were a small percentage of the total.

Can I ask, do you have a photo of a stripe wearing Rowles that you're after an ID for? Or are you after all instances of Rowles?

TEW

Thank you for your response. I am researching all the ROWLES that served. Some have a single page while others have 4, 5 or even more.

I have 320 that served and pictures of about a third, but not always in uniform. Where I know they received a wound stripe I have included a picture of one on their page.

Of the 320 men that served only about 260 of them served abroad.

STUART

I see you live in Teignmouth. Two of these servicemen lived there in Daimonds House next to the church.

They are Henry Elijah Rowles 1872-1927 and William Henry Rowles 1898-1964 (son).

If you look at the site: Daimonds Lane Teignmouth Your Complete Guide - you will see there was a lady that was a relative and lived in this house.

I have been trying to make contact but have not managed to do so. I know it is a long shot but if you have any knowledge of these people please let me know.

STUART

Stuart,

I can add that there is a Henry Doidge?Rowles who was buried in the cemetery here 1/10/1927.

His grave was purchased by Thirza Maria Rowles of Daimonds House. She was buried in the same plot April 1952.

Find a Grave have an entry for Henry but no photo.

I can see if there is a surviving memorial stone to photo.

TEW

3 hours ago, TEW said:

...It was actually acceptable to wear the stripe on civilian clothes but I've not seen a photo of such...

Here's a few for you TEW:

Civvy wound stripes.jpg

SWB and Wounded Stripes on evening dress.jpg

Civilian with Silver War Badge SWB and 2 x Wounded Stripes.png

Civvies, SWB wounded stripes and medal ribbands (1).jpg

Civvies, SWB wounded stripes and medal ribbands (2).jpg

Thanks for the burial entry which was for Henry Elijah Rowles. I don't know where the name Doidge comes from.

Sadly there is no headstone for him or his wife Thirza,

STUART

What is the site TEW used to find the 72 ROWLES names. Do they come with a regiment or number?

STUART

It's Thegenealogist and yes, initials, number, regiment and a date of publication. For early ones you sometimes get a battalion and for later ones a home town or place of enlistment.

The 72 is filtered to an exact spelling.

TEW

Can the names etc. be pulled off as a complete list or do you have to open each one to get the detail?

STUART

One by one I'm afraid Stuart.

TEW