Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WATERPROOF FLYING COAT

GROBBY

Has anyone have a picture of the Coat Waterproof Pilot coat which came out just before the Sidcot Suit . I have tryed most places to find a picture but cannot find one yet .Any help would be great

On 18/03/2024 at 16:25, GROBBY said:

Has anyone have a picture of the Coat Waterproof Pilot coat which came out just before the Sidcot Suit . I have tryed most places to find a picture but cannot find one yet .Any help would be great

Hi

I am sure you have already checked in publications, Andrew Cormack in his 'British Air Forces 1914-1918 (2)' page 37, he describes the 'Coats, Waterproof, Pilots' as a fabric garment, presumably of a standard raincoat-type design, lined with 'thibet' or 'slink', the very dense, curly haired/wool pelts of still-born calves/lambs respectively.  This sounds very similar to the 'Burberry' type coats that were available for private purchase (much issue flying clothing appears to be the same as private purchase items with the label changed and made by the same manufacturer).  If this is the case then Mark Hillier's book 'Royal Flying Corps Kitbag' may be useful as pages 72-74 have illustrations of various adverts selling flying clothing, with items such as the Burberry 'Airwarm', the 'Burfron' and the 'Tielocken'.  There is also the Dunhills Ltd. 'Avion Slip-on', all of which could be similar to the 'Coats, Waterproof, Pilots' therefore the drawings of the coats may well include the one you are after.

Considering the number of photographs of airmen in flying clothing available most appear to be wearing various leather equipment, or various forms of 'Sidcot' suit, also some in fur coats.  We can probably assume that the 'Coats, Waterproof, Pilots' was not as popular as the former clothing.

Mike

Thank you for your reply and searching .I have been through lots of photos of the period of aircrew wearing flying coats but as you say none of them seem to be wearing the C.W.P. I havnt  read Mark Hillier" book or Dunhills Ltd and I will try to find your sugestions but it seems strange that so far I cant find a picture of this coat .I know the Sidcot suit came in a few months after but I thought they must have issued some ,and somewhere there must be a picture of this .Thank you for your time and help

20 hours ago, GROBBY said:

Thank you for your reply and searching .I have been through lots of photos of the period of aircrew wearing flying coats but as you say none of them seem to be wearing the C.W.P. I havnt  read Mark Hillier" book or Dunhills Ltd and I will try to find your sugestions but it seems strange that so far I cant find a picture of this coat .I know the Sidcot suit came in a few months after but I thought they must have issued some ,and somewhere there must be a picture of this .Thank you for your time and help

Hi

Here are a couple of images of adverts from the mentioned source, showing drawings of flying coats:

Image_20240320_0002.jpg.8bfae102fd2746dd5861876a5bb80f75.jpg

Mike

Thank you for showing that .I have looked at some of the adverts of the time  but yours are great for showing the private purchase by the aircrew.What im trying to find out at the moment is that does the regulation  Coat Waterproof Pilot look anything like the coat shown in the topic Canvas Flying Coat on this thread ? But without a photo im not sure .Thanks

3 hours ago, GROBBY said:

Canvas Flying Coat

Ha, almost pointed you to that topic ... but then realised it was yours. :D  

M

4 hours ago, GROBBY said:

Thank you for showing that .I have looked at some of the adverts of the time  but yours are great for showing the private purchase by the aircrew.What im trying to find out at the moment is that does the regulation  Coat Waterproof Pilot look anything like the coat shown in the topic Canvas Flying Coat on this thread ? But without a photo im not sure .Thanks

Hi

Looking through Alex Revell's 'High in the Empty Blue', page 19 has two images of K J Knaggs wearing what could be a 'Burberry' material type flying coat, unfortunately he is also wearing a lifebelt (this is when 56 sqn. was about to fly to France) that covers up the top half of the coat.  Comparing it with other photos in the book (and other books) it does not appear as 'shiny' as leather equivalents and the hems, especially at the bottom of the coat, appear different from the leather hem look:  

Image_20240320_0003.jpg.79e4139b7f398a6876a58b76aebdb102.jpg

Image_20240320_0004.jpg.1ab87a84a4853c4e6c0c681cc457a144.jpg

However, that is just an opinion from looking at the image.  The problem with knowing the difference between a 'private purchase' and 'issue' is that the only difference may be the label inside on some of the flying clothing.

The problem with the Canvas Flying Coat from the other thread is that it uses coat fasteners that are not used on any other flying coats, and look very aeroplane 'unfriendly', it also doesn't overlap as much as is seen on other flying coats of any material.  Also it is seen on images more in use by the ASC drivers than in any flying context, which probably does mean that is what it was for.

Mike

Thank you for your pictures ,The coat does seem to be fabric but as you say you cant tell if its private purchace .I agree about the other coat probably being ASC but would like to see a picture of a CWP coat to compare it to .Thanks again

• kenf48 changed the title to WATERPROOF FLYING COAT

Having looked closely at the photos I dont think its the same coat  as there dont seem to be any metal fasteners on the lower part of the coat and I would have to check if theres epaullets on the other coat .There are a lot of simularities between the coats so I will have to keep looking .Thanks again