Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plymouth Naval Memorial

Frajohn

I visited the Plymouth Naval Memorial today as three of the local men I am researching are commemorated on the memorial. I wished to photograph their names. However, when I came to panels 10 and 11, where their names are, I found scaffolfding towers erected in front of each of the two panels.

It was time for a spring clean and a number of gentlemen from the CWGC were pressure wasing the memorial. They were not acually working as it was lunch time and they were busy with their sandwiches. Although I was disapointed that they were working on the two panels I wanted, I tried to still take the photos I needed through the scaffolding, next minute the men came over, moved all of the scaffolding towers, allowed me to take all the photos I wanted, then moved them back again.

I am sure that we are all aware of the fantastic job the CWGC does in the cemeteries we visit abroad and in the UK, but I wanted to say a public thank you to those Gentlemen today, who went that step further, than they need have, to help someone.

Thank You