Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Common German Knife, Strange Proof Stamp

Matt Mc

Hello,

I have a very typical Leupold style German knife. I thought it unmarked but have discovered a very small stamp on the wood grip. It is a crowned gothic M. I IMG_0036.jpeg.3c7b8b1e275d40a19f94b2bb075853fb.jpegIMG_0037.jpeg.2f96ce539d7514dd7b469acb55eacf46.jpegam unable to find any similar mention of similar markings and was hoping to get some information. 

Hello,

The stamp means that it is a service weapon and that it is the property of the state/ army

Thank you. I have never seen a stamp so small nor punched into the wood of the grip. Was this common?

In German terminology there is such a term as " abgenommene dienstwaffe" your knife belongs to this group,

the second term is " nicht abgenommene dienstwaffe" , the knives  without  inspection stamp 

Edited by bert.f

I would certainly looking for other similar stamp, as inspector proofs on wood of combat knives are not so obvious, normally it was stamped so the blade, You should look at ricasso from various sides.

Thank you, I will. I recently sold an exact duplicate of this knife. I have contacted the buyer to check for similar stamp.