Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help researching a John McCready

Mathew B

Hi there

Looking for some help researching my Great Great Grandfather John McCready, I know its a really common name but I cannot find anything about him at all if someone could help. 

All I know so far is he was born to a Patrick McCready and a Elizabeth Hamilton who died before he was married to Sarah Devine 25th October 1909 in District Bathgate county Linlithgow, residing in Blackburn at this time and was about 27 at the time he was married. He was a coal miner and had a daughter Anges McCready who died 1918. John died in 1948. 

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks

Edited by Mathew B

3 hours ago, Mathew B said:

Hi there

Looking for some help researching my Great Great Grandfather John McCready, I know its a really common name but I cannot find anything about him at all if someone could help. 

All I know so far is he was born to a Patrick McCready and a Elizabeth Hamilton who died before he was married to Sarah Devine 25th October 1909 in District Bathgate county Linlithgow, residing in Blackburn at this time and was about 27 at the time he was married. He was a coal miner and had a daughter Anges McCready who died 1918. John died in 1948. 

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks

Matthew,

Do you have any information to confirm/deny that he served in WW1?

It is the most important information you can give, to get help on this forum.

Name, Rank, Serial Number, Regiment, Battalion, dates of service, etc...

Tom.

• Admin

As he was married in 1909 were any children born 1914 - 1918/9?

If so his unit or profession may be shown on the child's birth certificate.

6 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

As he was married in 1909 were any children born 1914 - 1918/9?

It looks as though most of his children were born before the war, although there are two daughters, Catherine who was born in 1916, and the aforementioned Agnes born in 1917, who were born during the war. Two of the children also died during the war, James Joseph in 1915, and Agnes in 1918, and father's occupation is also usually recorded on these so they may be worth having a look at too. 

MCCREADY JOHN DEVINE M 1910 669 / 2 / 27 Blackburn
MCCREADY MARY JANE DEVINE F 1911 669 / 2 / 35 Blackburn
MCCREADY ELIZABETH DEVINE F 1913 669 / 2 / 1 Blackburn
MCCREADY JAMES JOSEPH DEVINE M 1914 669 / 2 / 78 Blackburn
MCCREADY CATHERINE DIVINS F 1916 669 / 2 / 11 Blackburn
MCCREADY AGNES PEVINE F 1917 669 / 2 / 14 Blackburn

He's on the 1921 census being being aged 38 and his wife aged 39. The two girls born during the war his profession on the birth certificate is given as coalminer (no mention of  being in service) and he was present to register them both. 

ScotlandsPeople_C1921_669_02_002_000_2_003Z.jpg