Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17/Middlesex, 1st Footballers Bn, W H Jones

AndyJohnson

Hi

One of the 12 or so Brighton players to enlist with 17/Midlesex was William Henry Jones - their centre forward. He interests me because he was born in Tipton, didn't stay too long though.

I would like to be positive about his service number.

Looking at William H Jones in the Middlessex we have 2 candidates F/656 (William Harry) and F/2065 (William Henry). The former can be discounted - London and a Hydraulic Fitter - his papers survived. This obvioulsy points to F/2056 but his papers did not survive.

Does anyone with expertise in the 17/Midddlesex know if F/2065 William H Jones is the Brighton centre-forward?

thanks

Andy

image.png.e87de10e5ccebd3464e8c3f740ad4aad.png

Edited by AndyJohnson

• AndyJohnson changed the title to 17/Middlesex, 1st Footballers Bn, W H Jones

F/2065, William Henry JONES

Disability pension index card at WFA/Fold3 gives an address of 1-197 Great Lester St, Birmingham

Does that get you any closer?

M

Street name is a bit questionable, might be Great Lister St, so I attach an image of the PIC so you can determine for yourself..

JONESWH.F-2065.png.3ecf17be2a468d8d583e6078b0710483.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

M

Hi Matlock

It's a good try, but I think you may have ruled this man out as not being Billy Jones the footballer.

Billy Jones actually played for Birmingham City from 1901-1909, and again 1912-1913. He's 6th in their list of leading scorers of all time, with a similiar goals per game ratio to Trevor Francis.

In the gap from 1909-1912 he played for Brighton, and returned there from 1913 onwards, and lived in Brighton for the rest of his life. His address on the 1911 Census (81 Sackville Rd, Brighton) was the same as on the 1939 register suggesting he kept his house in Brighton even when playing for the 1912-1913 season back in Birmingham.

The address you give 1-197 Gt Lister Street isn't a great long house from 1 to 197, it means No1 'back of' 197 Gt Lister Street - a 'courtyard' of houses behind no 197. It was common in Birmingham back then.

On the 1939 register at 4/197 Gt Lister Street, I can find a William H Jones. I appreciate this isn't any form of proof, but I think it likely that this was the same man - at 2 different houses in the courtyard behind 197 Gt Lister Street.

So my logic is that I can find a William H in the same courtyard in 1911 & 1939 when I know Billy Jones was in Brighton, and even in WW1 times I think a professionl footballer would have a house a little more up-market than the courtyards of industrial Birmingham.

It looks like this 'courtyard man' was in the 17/Middlesex, so I'll have to keep looking for Billy. Problem is that I can't see any other candidates.

Thanks

Andy

Edited by AndyJohnson

I'm now sure that William H Jones, F/2065, is not the Birmingham/Brighton footballer Billy Jones.

F/2065 has a set of records in WO 364 (unburnt series) which shows him joining the 23rd Middlesex - the 2nd Footballers Bn. His occuparion was given as Labourer. He then seemed to serve in the 18th & 12th Bns.

Also his children's names don't match those of Billy Jones the footballer.

Nice try, but useful info to rule him out.

Andy

When was 'your' Billy born in Tipton please?

George

Hello George

24 March 1881

Nock Street, Tipton. Same street as Joe Davies VC

regards

Andy

Thanks