Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two lanyards.

Cameron2165

I've tried searching the forum, but failed to find an answer. I was wondering why this soldier is wearing 2 lanyards? 

He's Pte George Betty (a distant cousin) and was initially SLI and then London Regt.

Thanks in advance.

Cam.

George Betty.jpg

5 hours ago, Cameron2165 said:

I've tried searching the forum, but failed to find an answer. I was wondering why this soldier is wearing 2 lanyards? 

He's Pte George Betty (a distant cousin) and was initially SLI and then London Regt.

Thanks in advance.

Cam.

George Betty.jpg

It’s not a normal thing to do but something he’s got away with either, for an agreed reason, or he just got away with something irregular because of his local circumstances.  At a guess I imagine one might’ve had a watch and the other a clasp knife. The colour is not especially significant, it became popular to whiten them in a variety of corps including Royal Artillery, some ASC and some cavalry units.

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s not a normal thing to do but something he’s got away with either, for an agreed reason, or he just got away with something irregular because of his local circumstances.  At a guess I imagine one might’ve had a watch and the other a clasp knife. The colour is not especially significant, it became popular to whiten them in a variety of corps including Royal Artillery, some ASC and some cavalry units.

Thanks for your reply . I didn't think it was usual, certainly after looking at images of SLI and Lond Regt soldiers. Perhaps it was something he did for the photograph.                                     Thanks again

Cam.