Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My new HQ P1907 found locally in Germany - Gordon Highlanders?

Harzer

Hi,

just want to ask the community about your view on the bayonet. It is not in best condition but ok and the scabbard is certainly WW2. 

The unit marking I would translate into 2nd battallion of the Gordon Highlanders . Is this correct? Are there any strange markings on the bayonet you would rate as a fake? 

I can recognize an HQ from Jan 1911 P1907 with EFD as maker. Cypher is not really visibel. No later markings so no use in WW1 or WW2.

How can such a bayonet survive first without changes in 1913 and 1916 and without reinspection markings in both wars. A sleeper in remote Scotland? If the marking fits to the Gordon Highlanders than this unit was heavily fighting on a theaters of war....   

Thanks again to the team!

20240315_065726.jpg.e7ee76b4f738219be0c4feef6ad2b631.jpg Thomas

20240315_065716.jpg

20240315_070102.jpg

20240315_070127.jpg

20240315_070001.jpg

Edited by Harzer

The Regimental marking is certainly correct for the 2nd Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders and I have compared the rest of the markings with some other 1911 made Enfield bayonets and all seems to be in order. 

So I don't have a problem with it at all. It has that look of an item that has seen a little service, and I would not be surprised if this was a "bringback" or a "souvenir" that was taken directly off the battlefield by a soldier.

I have purchased items very similar to this out of Germany, genuine early examples that are marked to British line regiments and with a certain amount of "wear", so I have no doubt that they do exist.

Cheers,  SS 

On 15/03/2024 at 21:00, shippingsteel said:

The Regimental marking is certainly correct for the 2nd Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders and I have compared the rest of the markings with some other 1911 made Enfield bayonets and all seems to be in order. 

So I don't have a problem with it at all. It has that look of an item that has seen a little service, and I would not be surprised if this was a "bringback" or a "souvenir" that was taken directly off the battlefield by a soldier.

I have purchased items very similar to this out of Germany, genuine early examples that are marked to British line regiments and with a certain amount of "wear", so I have no doubt that they do exist.

Cheers,  SS 

s

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It is always a pleasure to get direct info right after posting and it helps me a lot.

Thomas

BTW. as collector would you polish the blade carefully and sensible to clean up/delete some of the rusty spots? I'm pretty uncertain. It could improve the view but it hits somehow the history of the object. I put the blade in Gunnex Ballistol oil for 3 days and polishes with 0000 steel wool. I was not expecting miracles and the result is ok. At least I could remove the active rust layer but you have the darker rust scars which are not really deep but visible.  I could preserve the condition with rennaissance wax and that''s it,... but.... 

How are you treating such objects which are somehow interesting but are condition wise in between.....

BR

Thomas

Hello . I am looking for English m 1888 mki and mk Ii . So if you have let me know . Thank you .

On 18/03/2024 at 18:14, Harzer said:

BTW. as collector would you polish the blade carefully and sensible to clean up/delete some of the rusty spots? I'm pretty uncertain. It could improve the view but it hits somehow the history of the object. I put the blade in Gunnex Ballistol oil for 3 days and polishes with 0000 steel wool. I was not expecting miracles and the result is ok. At least I could remove the active rust layer but you have the darker rust scars which are not really deep but visible.  I could preserve the condition with rennaissance wax and that''s it,... but.... 

How are you treating such objects which are somehow interesting but are condition wise in between.....

BR

Thomas

I have restored many a blade, my recommendation for a sympathetic restoration for a period price- if you wish to get rid of the rust- get a spoon, make sure it has a full edge and you can scrape the active rust off. It won’t damage the underlying blueing.