Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Thomson - Royal Highlanders

henners1974

Hello

I'm trying to find a bit more information out about a friends grandfather.

The soldier was called John Thomson and he was born on the 12 April 1892. He lived in Brae Cottage, Midmar, Aberdeenshire. He was captured during the war and held prisoner and I have a record of this as well as a newspaper report. Documents attached.

The thing is I think I have also found his medal index card (and medal roll) but Im struggling to link the medal index card and number to John Thomson from Midmar as his attestation papers do not survive.

Can anyone help me validate that the medal index card and roll is for John Thomson from Midar?

Thanks

Steven

Page 249.jpg

41629_626640_11703-00063.jpg

gbm_icrc_c_g1_e_04_01_0177_0016.jpg

John Thomson's mother is listed on the POW record as living at  Brae Cottage, Midmar, Aberdeenshire. DOB 12.4.1892.

he was in B coy, 1st Royal.Highlanders.  captured 18.4.1918 at Givenchy. unfortunately, cant see the war diary for the Black Watch on active duty for this date.

he was posted missing 

Incident Details  War Office Daily List No. 5597  Incident Date  20 Jun 1918 confirms Black Watch and nok Midmar. ( DL  5597  page 37 Black Watch  Thomson 40103 J Midmar)

then released/repatriated

Incident Details  War Office Daily List No.5735  Incident Date  29 Nov 1918   released POW arrived in England ( DL  5735  page 32 Black Watch  Thomson 40103 J Midmar)

therefore going by the Daily Lists 5597 and 5735  highlighted, it confirms that J Thomson number 40103 lived in Midmar. safe to ignore the S/ prefix

Thank you Chaz. Where could I find those daily lists that show his NOK is Midmar with his number showing? Thanks

The Daily Lists were rolled up into weekly lists, which were then published. They can be seen for free here https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144481815

The Daily List for the 20th June 1918 should be in this one https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144770315

And for the 29th November 1918 should be in this one https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144782242

Cheers,
Peter

as the writing is small and there are three columns I included the page numbers in my original posting. 

find the page number, 37 and 32 then look for Black Watch I think right hand columns. His entry will appear as Ive written in black letters.

As a hint, use the search button at the top 5597 will bring up the file then down load using the link on the left. Once you have downloaded it you can zoom in better than trying to zoom in on the original document.

In Peters link above, 5597 starts at 5594 so you will have to scroll down OR use the page number 37 likewise the other..

Edited by chaz

Excellent thanks very much to you all for this. I never knew these lists even existed. I will bookmark these lists for the future. Thanks very much again.

On 15/03/2024 at 05:25, henners1974 said:

<snip

I'm trying to find a bit more information out about a friends grandfather.

<snip>

I'm attaching my transcription of the Battalion War Diary for the month of April 1918.

It extends to 7 pages and I am attaching all, since it is necessary to learn the activities up to the attack on the 18th.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

1st Bn BW - WD - 1918 04_Page_02.jpg

1st Bn BW - WD - 1918 04_Page_04.jpg

1st Bn BW - WD - 1918 04_Page_06.jpg

1st Bn BW - WD - 1918 04_Page_08.jpg

1st Bn BW - WD - 1918 04_Page_10.jpg

1st Bn BW - WD - 1918 04_Page_12.jpg

1st Bn BW - WD - 1918 04_Page_14.jpg

Thanks Tom. Thats super useful as well to provide the backdrop his capture. Just a question....is that your conversion of the war diary as Ive only ever seen them with the original hand writing. Thanks

23 minutes ago, henners1974 said:

Thanks Tom. Thats super useful as well to provide the backdrop his capture. Just a question....is that your conversion of the war diary as Ive only ever seen them with the original hand writing. Thanks

Yes, this is my transcription (as stated in the 1st line - "I'm attaching my transcription of the Battalion War Diary for the month of April 1918.")

Tom.