Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Devonshire regiment photo.

Neil...

Would anyone have a photo of the first Devonshire regiment.. My great uncle was transferred we believe in sept/November 1917 and are trying to locate a group image if one exists.. many thanks

15 hours ago, Neil... said:

Would anyone have a photo of the first Devonshire regiment.. My great uncle was transferred we believe in sept/November 1917 and are trying to locate a group image if one exists.. many thanks

There were as many as 1,000 men in an infantry battalion at full strength although the establishment had been reduced by 1917.  Most photos were therefore broken down into the four companies, A to D, at most, and even then would rarely have everyone present.  I’m not trying to discourage you but you need to keep that in mind.  Also such photos were most commonly taken at the beginning of the war before embarkation to France, or at the very end when part of an occupation force.  Opportunities for unit photographs in the interim period were few and so most photos were impromptu and would comprise of just a few friends who happened to be around at the time, or occasionally a quick portrait taken whilst in a rest area at the rear during short but regular periods out of the line.

A good start point would be a visit to the regimental museum that’s now in Dorchester: https://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/product-category/regimental-accessories/devonshire-regiment/

They have good displays and are well worth a visit, plus you will be able to contact a researcher there.

Edited by FROGSMILE