Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental number in DLI

Hett65

In May 1915 a report was published in a local paper that Pte Joseph Evans 6/DLI had been wounded in action; he lived at Crossley Street, Spennymoor.

I have found that he later served as Pte 270100 RDC but I am unable to trace his DLI number and whether he was transferred to the RDC due to his wounds.

Can anyone assist me with this query? 

• Admin

Can you let us know from where you got the information that he was later RDC with number 270100.

I can't find a MIC/Medal Roll for a man in the RDC with such a number. The RDC was UK-based - but if the man had previously served overseas and was transferred to them, then he should be on their Roll with his previous details recorded e.g. his DLI number at least.

Regards

Russ

• Admin

There is a PIC for a man with that name and address with an RDC number 73806.

Have you perhaps got all tangled up somehow?

If you reveal your sources, there is a chance we will be able to piece it together for you.

Regards

Russ

• Admin

I note that if a man was in the 6/DLI and he was still serving with them post early 1917, then he would have been allotted a 6-digit re-number from the block 250001 to 275000 (as per the TF re-numbering scheme).

Given that the number 270100 falls within that block, then my prediction is that 270100 was actually his 6/DLI number.

Russ

• Admin

His 1914/1915 Star Medal Roll then tells us he was originally 2744 6/DLI.

In summary:

Enlisted as 2744 6/DLI TF

Renumbered as 270100 6/DLI TF (if your source, which you have not shared with us, is correct)

Transferred to RDC 73806.

His transfer to the RDC was most likely following sufficient recovery from wounds sustained whilst serving with the DLI

Russ

• Admin

His Silver War Badge Roll tells you he enlisted on 30/09/1914 (to the 6/DLI) and was discharged (due to Wounds from the RDC) to Class P on 30/07/1918.

He was serving with the 341 Protection Company of the RDC prior to discharge.

Russ

The BWM & VM roll 

adds additional info

evans.JPG.b52add25dc48b97d7502858a509c64d6.JPG

edit source Ancestry

Edited by RaySearching
source

Russ & Ray

Thanks for the information on Joseph Evans, I obtained the number from the AVL which gave his number as 270100 RDC.  It appears that they have mixed his number up with the wrong regiment.

John

Russ & Ray

Would either of you be able to give me his SWB number?

John

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Hett65 said:

I obtained the number from the AVL which gave his number as 270100 RDC.  It appears that they have mixed his number up with the wrong regiment.

Yes it does look like that.

The unforeseen advantage of that mistake is the fact that you now know his 6-digit 6/Bn DLI number. That number does not appear on any other documentation so it would have been lost to history save for that mistake. Long live mistakes !!

His SWB Badge number was 440850

Regards

Russ

Russ

Thanks for taking the time to help with my enquiry and trace his regimental numbers and SWB for me.  I agree with you about mistakes, but at times they drive you crazy trying to sort them out.  I am just thankful that there are so many members on the Forum with great experience who are prepared to help out with research.

John