Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte James Jenkins, born Portglenone, 10th/11th (Service) Battalion Highland Light Infantry, service N° 2020

George Millar

James Jenkins was born James Junkin on the 30th June 1896 in Gortfad, a townland in Portglenone, Co Antrim, one of 8 children born to parents John Junkin & Mary Ann Kyle. John & Mary Ann had married in the Portglenone Presbyterian Church in Portglenone, Co Antrim on the 10th September 1895, both coming from around the local area.

However, after the birth of James it seems the family relocated to Scotland as their next child, another son Robert John Jenkins was born on the 14th July 1898 in Greenock, Renfrewshire. As can be seen from their second child’s surname it seems for some reason that they had now had changed their surname to Jenkins from Junkin. I don’t know if this was deliberate or not. All the rest of their children had the surname Jenkins and all records of births, marriages & deaths in the Scotland’s People site are under the surname Jenkins. In 1900, Mary Ann gave birth to their third child, a daughter who they named Eliza Parker Jenkins.

In the 1901 Scotland census the family were living in the Bellshill Road in Bothwell, Lanarkshire and father John was working as a “General Labourer”. Then between the 1901 and 1911 Scotland census, Mary Ann gave birth to another 4 sons, Stewart in 1903, Henry John in 1906, John in 1908 and Thomas in 1909. For some reason unknown, Thomas was called Charles in the 1911 & 1921 census. (I cannot find a birth record for a Charles Jenkins).

In the 1911 Scotland census the family were now living in the Old Glasgow Road in the Uddingston area of Bothwell and father John was now working as a “Jobbing Gardener”. Then in 1913 Mary Ann gave birth to another child, their last, another son who they named David.

When war broke out in August 1914 it seems that James wanted to do his bit for his country and enlisted into the Highland Light Infantry and issued with the Service N° 2020. Unfortunately, like so many others, James’ service record was one of those that were destroyed in WW2 so not much is known about his service history. What is known is that James was posted to the 11th (Service) battalion Highland Light Infantry and disembarked in France on the 13th May 1915. This would indicate that he probably enlisted sometime in 1914 just after the 11th battalion were formed in Hamilton as part of Kitcheners K1.The battalion then came under command of the 28th Brigade in the 9th (Scottish) Division. The division initially moved to Borden Camp before going on to Bramshott in March 1915.The battalion’s and that of the 9th (Scottish) Division’s first action would see them taking part in the Battle of Loos. I’m assuming that James would have taken part in this battle.

According to the LLT the battalion were then attached to the South African Brigade in the same division on the 6th May 1916. However, this only lasted for 8 days and they then transferred to the 46th Brigade in the 15th (Scottish) Division on the 14th May 1915.

In spring 1916, the 15th (Scottish) Division was involved in the German gas attacks near Hulluch between the 27th & 29th April 1916 and in the defence of the Kink position on the 11th May 1916. These are among the engagements officially known as the Actions of Spring 1916. It is probable that the transfer of the 11th Battalion Highland Light Infantry to the 15th (Scottish) Division was to build up their strength again after these actions. It was at this time that the 11th battalion amalgamated with the 10th battalion to form the 10th/11th battalion.

Although I can’t be sure, I’m presuming that James took part in the phases of the Battle of the Somme 1916 in which the battalion took part in.

The only thing I know for sure is that James died on the 30th October 1916. Some records list him having been “Killed in Action” on this date but others that he possibly “Died from wounds” on this date. I’ve checked the battalion’s war diary for the 30th October 1916 and it gives the following:

Operations again postponed. Received orders about 1 pm to relieve the 7/8 KOSB in front line. It rained most of the day and the state of the ground was such that relief was attended with some difficulty and was not complete till about 1:45 am. Canadians again on our left and 44th Bde. On the right. After relief of KOSB we sent out two different officers patrols from Scotland Trench and they both reported that the enemy was not working outside Gallwitz Trench”.

As can be seen from this, it is more likely that James was wounded possibly from shellfire prior to this date and he succumbed to his wounds on this date. Would he be listed on a wounded list to confirm when he was wounded? He has no known grave and his name is listed on Pier & Face 15C of the Thiepval Memorial.

I have also checked the History of the 15th (Scottish) Division 1914-1919 by Lieut.-Colonel J. Stewart, D.S.O which lists this under the paragraph “The Winter Months” page 100:

Although there had been no fighting other than the ordinary trench warfare, the casualties during the past tour had been fairly heavy”.

Any information on James or the events prior to his death would be appreciated.

George

Images courtesy of the irishgenealogy.ie site, Ancestry & the book “History of the 15th (Scottish) Division 1914-1919” by Lieut.-Colonel J. Stewart, D.S.O.

James Junkin - 1896 Ireland Birth Record.jpg

John Junkin & Mary Ann Kyle - 1895 Ireland Marriage Record.jpg

James Jenkins - UK, British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920.jpg

Private James Jenkins - CWGC Certificate.jpg

James Jenkins - UK, Army Registers of Soldiers Effects, 1901-1929.jpg

The Winter Months 1916 - History of the 15th (Scottish) Division 006.jpg

This doesn't aid your search but interesting that he has a Pension Card with his father as the dependent and receiving 12/- a week from June 1917. Why not his wife I wondered?

George

George,

Many thanks for the comment. James wasn't married and his mother Mary Ann had died in 1915 so his next of kin would have been his father John.

George

20 hours ago, George Millar said:

The only thing I know for sure is that James died on the 30th October 1916.

While his MIC & 1915 star roll say 'killed in action', the CWGC & the star roll record his death as 31 Oct 1916 (Ancestry):

Jenkins star.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Ivor,

Thanks for the comment. I didn't spot the difference in date. I've just had another look at the war diary and it lists that the 24 hours spent in the line were fairly quiet and there is no mention of any casualties. No casualties listed for the 1st November either.

George

Untitled.jpg

Edited by George Millar

Ivor,

I had another look at the war diary and it mentions that the battalion had a few casualties on the 19th October and although there were other times when they suffered heavy shelling after this date there is no mention of casualties. Perhaps James was wounded at this time on the 19th October. I don't think we will ever know for sure. I'm assuming that if he had been killed by shellfire on the 19th October that his date of death would have been that and not the 30th/31st October.

George

Untitled.jpg

Edited by George Millar

A look at the records of 11th HLI men with close service numbers to James Jenkins may turn up a SWB/pension/service record with an enlistment date. Medal roll - Ancestry:

Jenkins MR.png

e,g, John Angus Hall (2022) KIA 25 Sept 1915: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1764482/john-a-hall/

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

Ivor,

Once again many thanks for the comments. I think you are probably correct in saying that James took part in the Battle of Le Transloy in October 1916 and that he was probably reported missing, then later declared as having died during the battle but would his date of death not have been listed as sooner than the 30th/31st October if that was the case?

George

17 minutes ago, George Millar said:

would his date of death not have been listed as sooner than the 30th/31st October if that was the case?

You would think so, but for whatever reason, his body was not recovered. He is on the same Thiepval panel as those who died on the 26th. We can only surmise.

I have a great uncle who died with the 2nd R Dublin Fus at Le Transloy on 23 Oct 1916, during the action where Robert Downie won the VC.

His body was never recovered. He was among the missing who ended up listed on the Menin Gate at Ypres!

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Ivor,

Thanks again for the comments. Ill have a look at some of the other soldiers who you mentioned had died with the 10th/11th battalion around the same date to see if anything crops up.

George

Ivor,

From the link that you sent me ref the 16 deaths of the 10th/11th battalion HLI in October 1916, 3 of them died from wounds, 1 death presumed and the others listed as KIA. (see attached)

George

Soldiers - 10th_11th HLI.jpg

Thanks Ivor, as I said in my first post I presumed he had listed in 1914 but what you have found seems to have confirmed it now, thanks again.

George

Thanks Ivor,

From reading the article on the Attacks on the Butte de Warlencourt it seems that the 9th (Scottish) Division took the major role with the 15th (Scottish) Division helping. From wikipedia:

"The 9th (Scottish) Division took over from the 47th (1/2nd London) Division on the eve of the attack; Furse asked for a 48-hour postponement but was over-ruled. RFC aircraft tried to reconnoitre the area, to find new German trenches but the light was too poor. By 12 October, the Bavarian companies had been reduced to about 35 men each, with rifles and 18 machine-guns to defend an area of 3,300 ft × 4,900 ft (1,000 m × 1,500 m). The divisional objectives were Snag Trench and the Butte, including the Tail, a trench running back from Snag Trench to the Butte and the Pimple, a mound at the west end of Snag Trench. On the left flank, the 15th (Scottish) Division had been sapping forward to support the attack by firing on the final objective, No. 4 Special Company RE preparing to lay a smoke screen on Little Wood and the Butte. On the right flank, the 7th Seaforth Highlanders (7th Seaforth) of the 26th Brigade was met by machine-gun fire as soon as it advanced; it was also hit by the British heavy artillery, which fired short and missed Snag Trench".

George

Really interesting reading. My grandfather was the David Jenkins born 1915. James, had he survived the war would have been my fathers (also David Jenkins) uncle. Sadly, my father passed away a couple of years ago, but during his life, I took him to Thiepval Memorial and we laid a wreath for James..... A deeply moving experience. I noticed on the Internet that his war medals have been sold recently...... If they ever come back for sale, I would dearly love to own and bring them back into the Jenkins family....... Regards and thanks again for the wonderful information..... David C. Jenkins

David,

I have sent you a private message on the forum.

George

• 4 weeks later...

Hi George,

James is named on the Bellshill War memorial. 

Sjack91,

Just spotted your post. Many thanks for the info and I have taken a copy of the panel in which James' name is listed. Many thanks once again.

David,

I'll send you a post shortly.

George