Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LOBSEY Roy Gren Gds 2608464

stevenbecker

Mates,

Do you have any details on how long this soldier served in the Gren Gds?

What I have on him

LOBSEY    Roy    2210    Pte    01 LHR    15R to Dtls camp 4-16 to 1 LHTR 4-16 to Arty Dtls Tel el Kebir 5-16 to AATD Bulford UK 6-16 to 1 ADBD Etaples 8-16 to Farrier WIA 22-11-16 L/eye injury shoeing horse accident in camp at Etaples to AIF depot (1 com) Perham Downes UK 2-17 to AGBD Rouelles 9-17 to S/Smith 45Bty/12 FAB 10-17 to hosp (pyrexia) 3-18 to AIF depot (1 com) Perham Downes UK 6-18 to AGBD Havre 11-18 F&B to NME UK wool classing & railways 5-19 married Daisy Clarke at Halstock Dorset UK 24-7-17 disch in Aust 17-4-20

relist 1Bn Grenadier Guards (2608464) in 14-7-21

After this he disappears, so I am sure there more on him in the UK?

Steve, the situation is very different to that in Australia. As I understand it, all Australian WW2 service records have been digitised, and made available online for free by National Archives of Australia.

The service records for soldiers whose service continued past 1920 have been in the custody of the Ministry of Defence. The service records of those Other Ranks who are in this category are being transferred to The National Archives UK. They are overwhelmed by the volume, relative to the people working on the project. Many of these records have yet to be catalogued, even.

Certain elements of the files will be digitised by Ancestry, and made available 100+ years after their death, in the next few years. The file for an individual can be consulted in person at The National Archives UK 116 years after the date of birth of the individual concerned.

3 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

married Daisy Clarke at Halstock Dorset UK 24-7-17 disch in Aust 17-4-20

relist 1Bn Grenadier Guards (2608464) in 14-7-21

I can't access in full, but perhaps the 1921 Census at Find My Past might be able to spot him/them between these dates ??

First name(s) Last name Birth year Birth place Parish Registration district County  

Roy

Lobsey

Australia

Newark upon Trent

Newark

Nottinghamshire
First name(s) Last name Birth year Birth place Parish Registration district County  

Daisy C

Lobsey

Halstock, Dorset, England

Enfield

Edmonton

Middlesex

?????

M

The 1921 census has him as a boarder, living with the Clark family at 28 King Street in Newark in Nottinghamshire, and employed as a police constable by Newark Borough.

He appears to be the only person in UK with his name, so he may be the man who (re)married in London (registered Q4 1928 to a Marion E. Keogh) and he appears in London in the register compiled in September 1939.

Edited by Chris_Baker

34 minutes ago, Chris_Baker said:

he appears in London in the register compiled in September 1939.

This seems likely his death [from FreeBMD]

Surname  First name(s)  Age  District  Vol  Page 

Deaths Mar 1940   (>99%)
Lobsey  Roy  42  Hampstead  1a 1136

M

Thanks guys

Interesting that the marrage appears ended soon after the war and still with the family?

and he remarried.

Chris

I take it he was a Police officer before joining the Guards?

So how long he was back in the Army is unknown for now?

Cheers

Edited by stevenbecker

The 1921 census took place on 19 June 1921, so yes, he was a Police officer before he enlisted in the Grenadier Guards on 14 July 1921. Their terms of service had been 3 years with the colours, then 8 with the Army Reserve.

Sorry, typo, that should read '9 with the Army Reserve.'

Thank Keith