Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial War Graves Commission records up for auction.

Gunner 87

" listing the final resting place of every British and Colonial serviceman who died during the First World War"

A bit of exaggeration to say the least!

Dave

....... at least they are still around and not in a skip like so many other records

Originally owned by the IWM, sold at auction in 2016. Sold for £2,100 at auction on 13th March 2024

1 hour ago, wulsten said:

Don't know what to think about that

Agreed. My personal feeling is they should be lodged safely with the NA so if anything were happen to the other copy the records are still held and accessible. 

Edited by Gunner 87

As these were originally published by IWGC I assume these are 1920s?

Therefore out of date following a century of the discovery of remains and the ID of unknowns.

Interesting archive for someone to own but not a good starting point for any research?

TEW

17 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Originally owned by the IWM, sold at auction in 2016. Sold for £2,100 at auction on 13th March 2024

Doesn't seem very much for such a rare set of volumes?

4 minutes ago, TEW said:

As these were originally published by IWGC I assume these are 1920s?

Therefore out of date following a century of the discovery of remains and the ID of unknowns.

Interesting archive for someone to own but not a good starting point for any research?

TEW

Perhaps not a fair comparison, but I have the Wiltshire section, a slim paperback published in 1930. I find it useful, and easier to use than the CWGC website. There's a breakdown of the 1,971 graves by the nationalities of the deceased, including interned civilians and German servicemen (whose remains were removed to Cannock Chase in the 1950s).

IIRC I obtained the section courtesy of a GWF member and ex-CWGC employee who had a few other sections to dispose of.

I really do not like to idea of original records being discarded 'Because we scanned it' - I have spent the last five years digitising the collection of a local museum and this is an extra to our physical collection and we would never discard the originals.

Actions like this reinforce my already low opinion of the IWM, I would certainly never consider donating my collection to any organisation with such a cavalier attitude to original documents. They have done the same with maps, if they end up with multiple copies please distribute them across the UK so more people can get to see them don't just sell them on. 

Good Evening All

This is a sad time if you cannot trust organisations like the IWM to look after original historical documents. Digitalised versions mean nothing other than you read them easier. I am pretty sure the original copies of 1920 "List of Cemeteries in France and Belgium" is in the trusted safe hands! of the IWM, unless of course they have sold them off to help pay for the renovations. All these organisations IWM, CWGC,NA have all changed not for the better, it's all about money and wokery.

I wonder who purchased them and if they will ever be available to the public? 

Regards

Andy

I suspect a number of copies were made. I recall Tom Donovan had several volumes some years ago which eventually went to a fellow collector. Not part of this set, I think, as there weren’t that many.

39 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I suspect a number of copies were made. I recall Tom Donovan had several volumes some years ago which eventually went to a fellow collector. Not part of this set, I think, as there weren’t that many.

Apparently there is only ONE other complete set at least the CWGC still kept one.

19 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Good Evening All

This is a sad time if you cannot trust organisations like the IWM to look after original historical documents. Digitalised versions mean nothing other than you read them easier. I am pretty sure the original copies of 1920 "List of Cemeteries in France and Belgium" is in the trusted safe hands! of the IWM, unless of course they have sold them off to help pay for the renovations. All these organisations IWM, CWGC,NA have all changed not for the better, it's all about money and wokery.

I wonder who purchased them and if they will ever be available to the public? 

Regards

Andy

I would go further, I think it is an absolute disgrace that they were sold, they should have been kept in a library, an "important" one at that, possibly with parts on display in a glass case.