Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown soldier

SaracenSix

Trying to find any information about this young artillery soldier . I have the name 
J G Blount on the rear of the postcard. Hitting brick walls on research. 
Any help much appreciated . 
Thank You

IMG_4242.jpeg.dcc03a0730baf7be772aa5f5cced11af.jpeg

14 minutes ago, SaracenSix said:

Trying to find any information about this young artillery soldier . I have the name 
J G Blount on the rear of the postcard.

No offence intended, but could you please post a scan of the rear of the PC - so we can see the name [and any address??]

Thanks.

M

Thanks for your reply Matlock 1418. 
That’s all the information I have on the rear, J G Blount, no address 

• Admin

It has a post war appearance to me, something with the cap. Need an expert @FROGSMILE

There is a John E Blount RGA 113580. Could the E be mistaken for a G

Just now, EDWARD1 said:

Had seen him.  Various interpretations are always a possibility. I had hoped to see the name on the rear ... so as to determine if a correct interpretation or possible misinterpretation.

M

35 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

It has a post war appearance to me, something with the cap. Need an expert @FROGSMILE

It looks like an 05 cap with typical short peak, but the angle of view emphasises the height and so makes it look out of proportion.  The post war cap had a wider, more spade like peak and collar badges came in too.  The photo is okay for WW1, especially early war.

Thank You all for your interest and knowledge on my topic, here is a picture of the back of the postcard, whilst the name could have been written by anyone I can only assume it is the young man on the front in the postcard . Edward1 you could be right about E and not G 

IMG_4245.jpeg

50 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Beyond his BWM & VM MIC ... sadly [for us!] there is no clear pension info for that chap at WFA/Fold3

M

15 minutes ago, deutscherinfanteriest said:

does he survive to WW1?

John E Blount RGA 113580

It seems likely he did survive the war ... since he does not seem commemorated at CWGC and there  is no dependant's pension records at WFA/Fold3 [neither of which are a guarantee however]

M

Next question ... Is there any provenance as to the source of the card?

• Where did it come from?  [Past/recently, person, geographically etc.]
  • What is the printer's mark? [if any - probably a poor indicator but I suppose worth asking]

M

Thanks M, 

Recently purchased online, no printers mark. I just like trying to research the few cards and medals I have 

I agree it could well be an E.
The middle arm of an E In block capitals, is replaced in cursive by a loop, which we see vaguely here.
The loop has morphed into a dot on the downward stroke of the letter.

For what it's worth, there were only 4 JE Blounts, and only 3 JG Blounts born in England and Wales between 1875-1900 so it doesn't seem an inordinate task to research.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

4 hours ago, SaracenSix said:

Recently purchased online, no printers mark.

That unfortunately probably doesn't help - I had hoped an area might be available

A brief search for Service Records at Ancestry for John E Blount RGA 113580 appears to have failed [but others may be better placed to check further]

Though I do not have access to the necessary resources to take further it might be worth considering 

• Looking at near numbers to John E Blount RGA 113580 - perhaps to see what medal roll he was on - might offer you a recruitment area
  • Looking at Absent Voters Lists
  • Look at 1911 Census

As Dai has said there aren't a huge number of birth records for a J. C/E/G BLOUNT - especially if you look at the 1890s

He seems pretty well turned out = Something which caught my eye was his collar - very smart and hooked together I think - possibly the sign of a Regular ???

Sorry I'm not offering more.

M

That’s amazing information and knowledge you’ve provided M, Thank You very much for your help and advice. 

Fantastic information and a great help, Thank you Chris for your time 👍

John Edward BLOUNT, RGA ,113580

The AVL offers 241 Seige Battery, RGA, which according to the LLT https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/the-siege-batteries-of-the-royal-garrison-artillery suggests they deployed to France, 10 January 1917 - this would match with this soldier's MIC for only a BWM and VM .

But as to whether he is the soldier of the OP's photo is of course an unproven matter. :unsure: 

What you likely need to do is to try and find a family tree with a photo of him and to make a comparison - probably easier said than done! :unsure::unsure:

M

Edited by Matlock1418

There are trees on Ancestry which contain a John Edward Blount.
The surname is very much an (East) Midlands surname, and one tree gives:

John Edward Blount

1892–1961
Birth OCT 1892 • Wymeswold, Leicestershire, England
Death JAN 1961 • Basford, Nottinghamshire, England
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/88671733/person/150106034669/facts

There's no photograph, but there is a picture of JE's father, Thomas Blount.
TB.jpeg.9e0088ed6b91d61bd2cddd0dad1977f7.jpeg
A decent similarity in my mind, especially the eyes.
There may be an image in some of the other trees.