Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Compass - how was it worn?

seaJane

I bought this recently; the chain appears to be a closed loop, not designed to be opened. The case opens by pressing the top of the stud through which the jump ring passes.

My question is: was the chain secured to the uniform or something else by a strap that passed through the chain, or was the chain meant as a thumb or finger loop while using the compass one-handed?

Thanks in advance!

sJ

IMG_20240312_151406.jpg.2ddcc525359a7a65790a7158e8838e39.jpg IMG_20240312_151918.jpg.6df8c179eda7bc788e812b745343df65.jpgIMG_20240312_152123.jpg.9059b95789f5911f80d9fdb7f9799a02.jpg

Like all British military compasses these were intended to be secured to the person by a string lanyard. These lanyards were used for all types of pocket and prismatic compasses. Although intuitively the larger loop suggests this went around the neck, as did a pistol lanyard, the larger loop was usually secured by threading it through a webbing strap or belt and stowing the item and spare string in a pocket ready for use.

They were not issued with a chain and the chain you see is likely a later addition. 

Yours is an Anglo Swiss Association pocket watch compass of the most basic, but common, design........notice even the absence of degrees on the card. 1915 seems a popular date for this type and 1915 ASA London pocket watch compasses such as this seem to occupy a serial number range 41388 to 68537.  There were several producers of this identical pattern and some say the "M" further identifies ASA ........ just as "M" and "V" apparently identifies a Dennison manufactured compass of the same design.  The first ones appear around 1905 and they were still being purchased in bulk in 1918.

Lanyard.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

35 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

They were not issued with a chain and the chain you see is likely a later additio

I’d agree, that chain is far too ornate for the military….i have my grandfathers MkV1 that I used in the cadets, I made a lanyard out of a thick bootlace and it served me well like that for a couple of years.

Dave.

Thank you gentlemen - much obliged :).

I still have one dating from 1917, and in its case. It was definitely intended for a lanyard, I wore it around my neck and used it for years.

It went through D of E Award expeditions and Outward Bound, and many other expeditions.