Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Colonel Frederick John Fraser, Indian Army

Eastindia

Below are the details I have so far out together but I have found nothing about his WWI career and would appreciate any more info on this chap

Lt. Colonel Frederick John Fraser

Indian Army Staff Corps, 5th Bengal Infantry and 46th Punjabis

He was born 6th May 1867 in Inverness, Scotland and was the son of Revd. Donald and Theresa née Gordon Fraser

He was educated at the Royal Military College

He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, 3rd Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment 1886, then transferred to Liverpool  Regiment 1888; Lieutenant 1890; transferred to Indian Army Staff Corps 1892; Captain 1899; Major 1906; Lt. Colonel 1914

He served during the operations in Chitral with the relief force (medal with clasp) 1895; served on North West Frontier 1897-98 and saw action at Tochi (clasp)

He died 26th November 1943, aged 76, at 1a Clinique Ambroise Paré, Toulouse, France but was otherwise living at 48 Carlton Mansions, Randolph Avenue, Maida Vale, London. He left £1,408

• Admin

A pre-war snippet - are you aware of the High Court Action referred to? 

Manchester Evening News 31 March 1905 (courtesy FMP)

image.png

Not found an obituary sadly.

• Admin

Looks like the case was around a play written by your man. Liverpool Evening Express 1 April 1905. (FMP)

image.png

Appeal result - Aberdeen Press and Journal 15 July 1905 (FMP)

image.png

Thank you David Owen. A fascinating discovery. Many thanks. My own trawl through FMP had not yielded this.

his WWI service still eludes me

As with his banjo playing contemporary "Chitral Charlie" he had a similar curious affinity for the stage and several of his poems were set to music and performed during his lifetime by Amy Woodforde-Finden eg "Six songs from on Jhelum River"  (Jhelum boat song -- The song of the bride -- Will the red sun never set -- Ashoo at her lattice -- Only a rose -- Kingfisher blue. ...... all for high voice and piano........"A Kashmiri love story")  There is a record somewhere of Royalties to FJF 46th Punjabis from Amy WF for £200 but, for the life of me, I cannot find it again.

As for Great War service we know he was Lt Col (2IC) 46th Punjabis in 1912 and 46th Punjabis were India based until 1918.  I have been unable to access the India records so far to see where/when he went with them.  

Edited by TullochArd

TullochArd.   I have just realised that Chitral Charlie was Charles Townsend whose career ended abruptly at Kut. His conduct during the siege and the surrender and the life afterwards he enjoyed were a disgrace.

A few points on you chap:

LG 15/10/20

The KING has approved the retirement of the following officers of the Indian Army : —

Lt.-Col. F. J. Fraser. 1st Oct. 1920.

From the Jan 1922 Indian Army List supplement:

Fraser, F. J. (Lt.-Col., I. A.) retd ~

Chitral 1895,— Medal with clasp*

N. W. Frontier of India, 1897-98 — Tochi clasp

Fraser was the second in command in the October 1914 Indian Army List

The 46th Punjabis stayed in India until moving to Egypt, arriving in March 1918.

Fraser transferred to the 33rd Punjabis on 11th July 1916 and was appointed second in command.

He was appointed to command the 33rd Punjabis on 22 March 1918.

I cannot find a medal index card for him so I suspect I never left India on active service.

I hope that helps.

Matthew