Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification

Janine Clarke

Hi. I have recently come to realise that the gentleman at the back of this family photo from around 1918 / 1919 is not who we thought it was. I am trying to narrow down the possibilities by finding out more about his uniform.

Can anyone tell me anything about the stars he wears on his cap and lapels. Are they regimental badges, or something else?

Many thanks.

Williams 1918.jpg

14 minutes ago, Janine Clarke said:

Hi. I have recently come to realise that the gentleman at the back of this family photo from around 2018 / 2019 is not who we thought it was. I am trying to narrow down the possibilities by finding out more about his uniform.

Can anyone tell me anything about the stars he wears on his cap and lapels. Are they regimental badges, or something else?

Many thanks.

Williams 1918.jpg

He's Canadian Army and wears the Canadian maple leaf badges.      Pete.

1 hour ago, Janine Clarke said:

Hi. I have recently come to realise that the gentleman at the back of this family photo from around 2018 / 2019 is not who we thought it was. I am trying to narrow down the possibilities by finding out more about his uniform.

Many thanks.

Williams 1918.jpg

He’s a member of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) Janine as evidenced by the Canadian insignia on his cap and collar, much but not all of which was based on a Maple leaf design.  The CEF came over to Britain initially in their Canadian pattern khaki service dress but for reasons of efficient logistical resupply on the scale necessary it was decided between the Canadian Dominion government and British government that the CEF would wear the British pattern uniform but their own insignia while they were in Europe.  See: https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/insignia/brookerpdfs/Part 1 Introduction.pdf

The term Canadian Army was not used until 1940.  Before WW1 there was a Canadian Militia with a cadre of permanent instructors and the CEF was specifically formed during WW1 to fight in support of what was still viewed as the mother country, in France.  At that time quite a significant percentage of the CEF had been born in Britain, although a majority were second or more generation Canadians.  Quite a number of First Nations Canadians served, but as a proportion of their population a lot less of the French Canadians.

IMG_3137.jpeg

IMG_3138.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks All. It had never even occurred to me that there could be a Canadian link.Of course, that now raises even more questions! The photo is a family photo, and we know exactly who everyone except the gentleman in the uniform, and the woman sitting to the right, are. Of course, my dates for the photo were out by 100 years, and I meant 1919. It was taken in Bridgtown, Cannock. I wonder how a Canadian got jumbled up in this!

Thanks again.  

4 minutes ago, Janine Clarke said:

Thanks All. It had never even occurred to me that there could be a Canadian link.Of course, that now raises even more questions! The photo is a family photo, and we know exactly who everyone except the gentleman in the uniform, and the woman sitting to the right, are. Of course, my dates for the photo were out by 100 years, and I meant 1919. It was taken in Bridgtown, Cannock. I wonder how a Canadian got jumbled up in this!

Thanks again.  

Could he have been a family member, who had emigrated to Canada and found himself at an impromptu family reunion whilst serving in the UK?

This is certainly something I am trying to track. I guess I would need to go back to the previous generation.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Janine Clarke said:

This is certainly something I am trying to track. I guess I would need to go back to the previous generation.

Unlike British service records the Canadian Records are complete and searchable entering the family name may give some possibles

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/personnel-records.aspx

though I see this link may be out of date

6 hours ago, Janine Clarke said:

I wonder how a Canadian got jumbled up in this

I think that as Ken has suggested the most likely scenario is that he was a family member who had emigrated to Canada but then joined the CEF during the war as very many did.  A substantial number of British and Irish young men had been encouraged by the Canadian Dominion Government to come to Canada and work in farming and industrial concerns between 1900 and 1914. 

IMG_3167.jpeg

IMG_3169.jpeg

IMG_3170.jpeg

IMG_3172.jpeg

IMG_3171.jpeg

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

IMG_3175.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

At the beginning of the war, 70% of the first contingent overseas were British born, although many had lived in Canada for many years.

It makes sense, I suppose, that those with the strongest connection to the 'mother' country would be the keenest to join up.

8 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

It makes sense, I suppose, that those with the strongest connection to the 'mother' country would be the keenest to join up.

Indeed, not least given the concerted efforts to encourage them to do so.  At that time the Canadian Dominion flag was a red duster with Union in the canton and Canadian coat of arms at centre.

IMG_3154.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpeg

IMG_3151.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg

IMG_3156.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg

IMG_3157.jpeg

IMG_3159.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Unlike British service records the Canadian Records are complete and searchable entering the family name may give some possibles

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/personnel-records.aspx

though I see this link may be out of date

Although the above link still works for the time being, the preferred link these days is the Personnel Records of the First World War database, the link to which can be found on the following webpage - https://library-archives.canada.ca/eng/collection/research-help/military-heritage/first-world-war/Pages/fww-personnel.aspx.