Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for photo of Robert Murray 43299

Mathew B

Hi 

Looking for any photos of Robert Murray 43299 been really struggling or there might not be any. Registered with the 4th Highland Light Infantry in August 1914 and was transferred to 2nd Battalion Royal Scot Fusiliers in October 1916. 

Edit: Also one of his brother William Murray S/20125. I haven't looked into him much so don't have much details on him.

Thanks

Matt

Edited by Mathew B

Matt,

the usual advice for searching for photos is to check the newspaper archives in the area he resided . If he had a ‘quiet’ war it’s less likely you’ll find one. If the person of concern was injured, missing, killed or taken prisoner then the odds improve, award’s for gallantry or even a wedding when home on leave. That gives you somewhere to start I hope.

Simon

14 hours ago, mancpal said:

Matt,

the usual advice for searching for photos is to check the newspaper archives in the area he resided . If he had a ‘quiet’ war it’s less likely you’ll find one. If the person of concern was injured, missing, killed or taken prisoner then the odds improve, award’s for gallantry or even a wedding when home on leave. That gives you somewhere to start I hope.

Simon

Simon

Brilliant will take a look, Robert had quite a busy war might get lucky. 

Thanks

Matt

Matt, 

Just to reiterate Simon's point , it is usually much easier if something important happened - death, wounds, medals awards etc. 

Given the Glasgow connection to both regiments, have you had a look at the Mitchell Library in the city? The staff there have indexed a lot of men in the Evening Times Roll of Honour which is available online.  It's not just for those who died and includes a lot of small bios with photos. 

Having a look at the British Newspaper Archive can also strike gold too. Someone I was looking at last week had a photo on the front page of the Daily Record following the award of an MM. Your chap has a fairly common name though so you might get multiple hits. 

Grant 

Edited by Grantp08

16 minutes ago, Grantp08 said:

Matt, 

Just to reiterate Simon's point , it is usually much easier if something important happened - death, wounds, medals awards etc. 

Given the Glasgow connection to both regiments, have you had a look at the Mitchell Library in the city? The staff there have indexed a lot of men in the Evening Times Roll of Honour which is available online.  It's not just for those who died and includes a lot of small bios with photos. 

Having a look at the British Newspaper Archive can also strike gold too. Someone I was looking at last week had a photo on the front page of the Daily Record following the award of an MM. Your chap has a fairly common name though so you might get multiple hits. 

Grant 

Grant

Never been in there but will certainly have a look, im not too far away from it too. Yeah the name is super common and I know that his brother William received a GSW to the leg in 1917 although it's a common name and be hard to find.

Thanks for the information

Matt

He has a 14/15 star and that roll notes him as being 1st HLI with a date of entry 24/3/1915. I had a look on BNA but don't see him coming up on a casualty list under either of his numbers. So likely enlisted and in 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion then allocated to 1st Battalion as a casualty replacement.