Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Prisoners of War

Rachel

Hello, I am currently working on a masters thesis that looks at the experience of Scottish prisoners of war in WWI German prison camps. I have learned that the Scottish experience has been largely aggregated with that of other British PoWs, and that for the most part, their experiences were very similar.

However, preliminary research has shown that there are instances of Scottish PoWs being singled out for humiliation (being forced to march in public en route to the prison camp whilst guards lifted their kilts as the public jeered), harsher punishment, and recruitment to join the Irish Brigade. I have also found German propaganda postcards where Scottish PoWs feature prominently among other populations of the British Commonwealth.

Although I have not discovered systematic differentiated treatment, I am curious as to the effect of the PoW experience on Scottish national identity; did captured Scottish soldiers identify as primarily Scottish or British or both? Were they treated differently than their British counterparts as a result of their Scottishness? If so, how? Did the war impact feelings of either differentiation or kinship, or both, as part of their greater British identity?

I am hoping to find correspondence, diaries, newspaper articles or any other primary source evidence that helps shed light on the experiences of these men. 

I have found the National Archives to be incredibly helpful (though slightly overwhelming), particularly the WO161 series that contains reports made by the Committee on the Treatment of British Prisoners of War. The FO383 series is similarly helpful.

Any insight or help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Hi Rachael,

I'd recommend the National Archive records in WO161 which are accounts by POWs of their treatment and conditions during capture. These have been digitised and included references to medical treatment, feeding, accommodation, punishment etc. These can be searched for members of Scottish regiments but often home towns and occupations are given.

There are also further records in the Foreign Office FO series which mention PoWs but these have not been digitised.

Happy hunting.

Colin