Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Division Army Service Corps

David Ellis

Any help would be gratefully received with the following.......

Researching (ancestor) m2/048188 Pte W Young, joined Army Service Corps February 1915 (civilian trade - Motor Driver). His service record shows him with '12th Div'l Amm Park.

From WO95/1845 records, 12th Divisional Train, it shows they sailed from Southampton - Le Havre 30/5/1915.

However, his service record differs insomuch as;  Embarked 30/5/15 onboard SS Ademosen (spelling?) Avonmouth.....Disembarked Rouen 2/6/15.

His service record shows him staying with the 12th until April 1918, and apart from Field Punishment, promotion and Leave entries, there is not too much else to go on with regards to his whereabouts.

Any input from GWF members welcome......thank you for reading.

• Michelle Young changed the title to 12th Division Army Service Corps

Thank you, Russ for your helpful reply to my request.

First, the correct spelling for the ship and who sailed aboard her on that date.

second, thank you for pointing me towards the ‘new’ War Diary WO number, I shall scour that for further clues.

thirdly, thank you Michelle Young for adding the s to corps, my mistake.  Could it be too much of a coincidence that you share the same surname as my GreatGrandfather?  Intriguing!

thank you both, David 

• Admin

No relation as far as I know! 

Hi Michelle… just checked with my sister (the Ancestry guru), here’s her reply….

William Young was married to Nelly Spicer from Much Hadham,Hertfordshire. He was born in Shepton Montague, Somerset (from memory). 

Ring any bells with you?

• Admin

The Young family I married into are from the Corsham/Castle Combe area of Wiltshire.

The 12th Divisional Ammunition Park and the 12th Divisional Train are two separate units. The first was mechanized while the second was horsed. Given your ancestor had a “M2” prefix to his service number, he would have been a motor vehicle driver.

All the best,

Gary

12th Division Ammunition Sub Park (MT)  diaries will be relevant. This was 176 (MT) Coy ASC, and their diaries are at WO95/933.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=wo95+176+933&_sd=&_ed=&_hb=

I can't actually find a company  labelled 12th Divisional Ammunition Column in Michael Young's book.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thank you, Gary

Thank you, Dai

I will be investigating these leads thoroughly, great work.

Great War Forum. ‘In action’!!