The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arthur H.B. Shipley

RhubarbJayde

I’m doing a research project on soldiers of the First World War and have chosen Arthur H.B. Shipley. He was born in Hertfordshire and lived in Pontefract, Yorkshire. He joined up to the Royal Fusiliers, served in Gallipoli, Egypt and then the Somme. Can y’all find anything about this guy? There’s a tiny bit of stuff on the Imperial War Museum, Commonwealth War Graves Commission and a little bit more on some archive for the Wakefield district in particular. Nothing on Roll of Honour, and the only thing I could find on the National Archives was paywalled. I’ve attached the only photo I could find of him.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The cap and collar badges in the photo are that of Alexandra Princess of Wales Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards) not Royal Fusiliers.

• Admin

Medal Index Card ©️ Ancestry 

IMG_1021.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

Thanks for the welcome! Those index cards look helpful. I’m currently taking a look at the Green Howards on the Long, Long Trail. The aforementioned Wakefield archive has a photo of his parents’ headstones, where he’s mentioned too.

IMG_1247.jpeg

Cool. Other articles from the British Newspaper Archive show that he was commissioned on 28 November, 1914. They also have this (admittedly, low-res) photo of him. I wonder if it’s the same as the other photo of him, but just flipped.

IMG_1250.jpeg

Arthur Hammond Butler Shipley, commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on 18 November 1914, simply as an infantry officer, no specific regiment mentioned.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28980/supplement/9519

According to the CWGC website, he was serving with A Company of the 6th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment at the time of his death. As his name is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial, he has no known grave.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1552582/arthur-hammond-butler-shipley/

The relevant war diaries for the 6th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment while in France can be downloaded for free from the National Archives after first registering for an account.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352618

Note that the earlier war diaries covering the service of this battalion while at Gallipoli can be found on Ancestry. As he was an officer, there's a good chance you will find some mentions of his name in the war diaries.

Thank you! This is all very helpful. It’s weird that his index card states that he died on 24 September 1916, but all other sources say it was the 27th (and if he did fight in the Battle of Thiepval Ridge, which began 26 September, it must be the latter).

23 minutes ago, RhubarbJayde said:

It’s weird that his index card states that he died on 24 September 1916, but all other sources say it was the 27th

I think the MIC reads 27.9.16 - just a fancy old-fashioned 7 that in some ways rather looks like a 4

2nd Lieutenant Arthur Hammond Butler SHIPLEY. Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment)

His officer's service papers are at TNA [unfortunately not digitised so a visit or the commissioning of a researcher will be necessary] 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1055501

M

From the work of the late Bob Coulson on officers of the Yorkshire Regiment

shipley.JPG.b6f19d5946d2efedbec881cfcceae149.JPG

Ray