Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Garbett 2364

halsteadiron

I am one of the volunteers at our local museum, we have recently been given a collection of photographs and amongst them, we found the attached postcard which didn't appear to have any relevance to the rest of the photos
The postcard is from a Harry Garbett, (no. 2364), platoon 3, ‘A’ company, 8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 1st South Midland Division, British Expeditionary Force, there is no date on the postcard but he writes that they are now behind the firing line and will write later.
I have had a quick look online and it appears that he later deserted and sadly had to forfeit all his medals

IMG_0008.jpg

A quick sweep gives these details

Harry  Garbett born Cresswell, Nottinghamshire

enlisted 14/8/14 Birmingham (School teacher)

disembarked 22/3/15

deserted 2/12/15

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1/8th Battalion

George

30 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Cresswell, Nottinghamshire

Looks like that should be Crewell(?), Derbyshire from 1911 Census.

image.png.5235773a18c48e228b45881ff13eaf60.png

Image from Ancestry

George

Edited by George Rayner

The photo would have been taken prior to him going overseas (possibly at annual camp) as some of the men are wearing the Imperial Service tablet, issued to those in the Territorial Force who agreed to serve overseas.

Simon

Edited by mancpal

The Fold3 document about his desertion says ‘Absent from Territorial Force’

George

• Admin

In 1921 he was married to Emma and employed as a school master (head teacher) by the West Riding County Council Education Committee.  

Suggests there may be more to be discovered about his desertion..

Given his age in the 1911 England and Wales census, assuming that it is recorded accurately, then he is presumably the Harry Garbett born 12 October 1891, who's death was registered in Denbighshire, Wales in 1970. There is an 1891 christening record for a Harry Garbett, the son of Amos and Betsy Garbett, from Elmton with Cresswell, Derbyshire, his parents' names matching those in the 1911 England and Wales census entry noted above.

Death registration - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVCR-1ZMH

Christening record - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KB6J-MG6

Unfortunately there isn't an obvious birth registration for him in the GRO indexes, the likeliest one being this one from the last quarter of 1891 registered in Worksop, Derbyshire.

GARBETT, HARRY         Mother's maiden name: ROBINSON      
GRO Reference: 1891  D Quarter in WORKSOP  Volume 07B  Page 48

Thanks very much indeed for all of your help
Firstly, I knew very little about the Imperial Service Tablet, which I have had to do a bit of research on, and can now see that at least three of the men are wearing it, thank you for enlightening me
Secondly, thank you for all the additional family information, from that, I have carried out some further research, and it appears that Harry and his wife had no children, I have found the couple in the 1939 register and it confirms his birth as 12th October 1891, also, the birth registration that you have suggested is correct, his mother’s maiden name was Robinson and Worksop does include the parish of Elmton in Derbyshire, where he was baptised
The only drawback so far is that there does not seem to be any connection so far with the Halstead area of Essex, where the rest of the photographs came from