Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Waterfield 8207

Draktar

Hi, im looking for information on Albert Waterfield (8027?), rifle brigade. Went to boer war before moving with bef in 1914. He received the george cross post war in civillian life. 

Im a descendant and he died before i was born. I have his remaining medals, just interested in where he served, some of his experiences and what his batallion went through really. 

Many thanks

Pete

1 hour ago, Draktar said:

Hi, im looking for information on Albert Waterfield (8027?), rifle brigade. Went to boer war before moving with bef in 1914. He received the george cross post war in civillian life. 

Im a descendant and he died before i was born. I have his remaining medals, just interested in where he served, some of his experiences and what his batallion went through really. 

Many thanks

Pete

8207 Albert Waterfield GC Rifle Brigade 

if you search the title on this forum you will find a tread all ready discussing him

• Admin

Can you please post a link, I’ve searched and can’t find it. Thanks 

8207 Albert Waterfield GC Rifle Brigade

By Guest george cross
25 April , 2007 in Soldiers and their units

Guest george cross

Guest george cross

HI 

Albert was in WWI in the Rifle brigade.

His Gc was for an action in Richmond Park in 1922 - first an EGM - Anyone know anyting about him or where i might find info on where to find out about his Bn He had been a Sergeant Instructor (No 8207) in the Rifle Brigade 3rd Bn having joined up in about 1901.

and of course I wonder if his medals have come up for sale at all?

Here is the link to the Announcement of Albert's GC in the New Years Honours of 1923

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

and his appointment as Park keeper.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

If our Rifle Brigade experts don't see the post you might want to Edit you post to include Rifle Brigade in the title.

Do you already downloaded a copy of his medal card from the National Archives ?

Medal card of Waterfield, Albert 

Corps Regiment No Rank 

Rifle Brigade 8207 Corporal 

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=13

I assume you have already seen the articles on the Net about him:

"Burials" at Mortlake Crematorium:

http://www.findagrave.com/php/famous.php?p...eteryid=1964840

(Some famous names on there...)

His specific bio at the site.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...mp;GRid=8479440

Steve.

stiletto_33853General

stiletto_33853

Marion,

He may well have originally been in the 3rd Rifle Brigade, however he went overseas with the 1st Battalion in The Great War and was awarded the 1914 Star with Clasp and Roses. Went overseas on the 23/8/14, medal despatched by post on the 15/1/20.

His British War Medal and Victory Medal were returned on 31/12/25 for adjustment.

The 1914 Star Roll has him as a Rifleman and his later British War Medal and Victory Medal have him as a Corporal.

Andy

stiletto_33853General

stiletto_33853

The British War Medal and Victory Medal Roll has him as W. Waterfield so I presume they were returned for official adjustment to A. Waterfield, if you would like these rolls sent to you let me know your e mail address by personal message and I will send them off to you. Will see if I have anything else on him for you.

Andy

stiletto_33853General

stiletto_33853

Marion,

Little more for you from The Royal Green Jackets Chronicle of 1968:

Mr. Albert Waterfield, G.C.

To record the passing of an old Rifleman holding the George Cross - the only one in the Regiment - is a sad occasion indeed. This is especially so with a veteran of the South African War and the Retreat from Mons.

Mr. Waterfield was on duty as a park keeper in Richmond Park, near White Lodge, on 10th March, 1921, when he saw two men armed with rifles. They ran off and he pursued them despite threats that they would open fire; this they did, firing twice but fortunately missing. Eventually Waterfield caught them. His citation recorded that "...... he showed courage and it was due to his bravery in giving chase that their arrest was effected." H.R.H. The Duke of York and the Duchess - later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth - were living at White Lodge at the time.

For this gallant act Mr. Waterfield was awarded the Medal of the Order of The British Empire, Civil Division, for Gallantry (E.G.M.), the first one ever awarded. In 1941 this, like all the E.G.M.'s was exchanged for the George Cross.

Mr. Waterfield had many years of excellent service with the Regiment, in the South African War and the First War throughout.

He died at the Star & Garter Home, Richmond on the 22nd August, 1968. His funeral at Mortlake Cemetery on the 27th August was attended by his daughter, Mrs. A. Trayford and her son, Lieutenant G.W. Barfield, R.N.V.R., Mr. James Patrick Scully, G.C. and Mr. & Mrs. A. Callaham. The Rifle Brigade Club & Association was represented by Alastair Stewart and myself. The Star & Garter Home and the Old Contemptibles, West London Branch, were also represented, and the latter provided the Standard and a Colour Party.

Andy

stiletto_33853General

stiletto_33853

The 3rd Battalion Rifle Brigade were not in South Africa for the Boer War, they were in India. I will go through the Queens South Africa Medal Roll for you tomorrow to see what Battalion he served there in.

Andy

stiletto_33853General

stiletto_33853

Marion,

He is in the 4th Battalion's Medal Rolls for South Africa.

Andy

• 1 yr spof changed the title to 8207 Albert Waterfield GC Rifle Brigade

Archived