Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Numbers, Connaught Rangers and Labour Corps.

jack

3 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

'Trench fever' was a completly different matter which was caused by a louse-borne bacterial infection

M

ok. Thanks M.

On 28/03/2024 at 21:36, museumtom said:

image.png.40fb54f9767bdc5b50868d140ac107c1.png

However I have just noted that he was described as having been had present at death a Patrick Keane [?] Inmate, Co. Infirmary, Sligo [present at death - I think that is the status of that 9th column]

This Inmate does make me wonder if he might perhaps have been being treated as a psychological/mental patient = ???

[However it might perhaps just be a case of semantics and non-technical nomenclature relating to Keane and completely not related to John Conlon]

M

8 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

However I have just noted that he was described as having been had present at death a Patrick Keane [?] Inmate, Co. Infirmary, Sligo [present at death - I think that is the status of that 9th column]

This Inmate does make me wonder if he might perhaps have been being treated as a psychological/mental patient = ???

[However it might perhaps just be a case of semantics and non-technical nomenclature relating to Keane and completely not related to John Conlon]

M

Thanks again, M.

I don't think 'Meningeal Haemorrhage, Acute" can be translated into anything that would be a chronic effect of 'Shell Shock'.

I suspect that it would be what we call  a Sub-Arachnoid Haemorrhage, a particularly nasty type of stroke, with a high mortality rate even today. A blood vessel bursts at the base of the brain, and bleeds into the sub-arachnoid space. The arachnoid matter is part of the meninges.. I think that would qualify as a meningeal haemorrhage

18 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I don't think 'Meningeal Haemorrhage, Acute" can be translated into anything that would be a chronic effect of 'Shell Shock'.

I suspect that it would be what we call  a Sub-Arachnoid Haemorrhage, a particularly nasty type of stroke, with a high mortality rate even today. A blood vessel bursts at the base of the brain, and bleeds into the sub-arachnoid space. The arachnoid matter is part of the meninges.. I think that would qualify as a meningeal haemorrhage

So nothing to do with Shell Shock or Trench Fever?

11 hours ago, jack said:

So nothing to do with Shell Shock or Trench Fever?

What was the time interval between the shell shock or the trench fever and death?

10 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

What was the time interval between the shell shock or the trench fever and death?

Sorry, I don't know that. All I know is that he died 1922.

2 hours ago, jack said:

Sorry, I don't know that. All I know is that he died 1922.

Ah. Right.

In that case, I don't think there would be any possibility that shell shock or trench fever would be linked to his death in any way whatsoever.

20 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Ah. Right.

In that case, I don't think there would be any possibility that shell shock or trench fever would be linked to his death in any way whatsoever.

Thanks, Dai. Another old story bites the dust.

21 minutes ago, jack said:

Thanks, Dai. Another old story bites the dust.

He may well have suffered from one or the other, or both at some point during the war, but he didn't die as a result of either.