Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Petrol Can

MarkP

Wondered what you guys think of this petrol can I've seen recently, dated 1917. Original, I don't know? It has been repainted at some stage. Any help would be appreciated.

1917-british-military-petrol-can-also-vickers-condenser-_56725_pic7_size4.jpg

1917-british-military-petrol-can-also-vickers-condenser-_56725_pic3_size4.jpg1917-british-military-petrol-can-also-vickers-condenser-_56725_main_size4.jpg

1917-british-military-petrol-can-also-vickers-condenser-_56725_pic2_size4.jpg

SOTB Co Ltd ...... Self Opening Tin Box Co Ltd, Westerham, Kent (1900-2021). 1917 and WD Crowsfoot. Nice.

Edited by TullochArd

Thanks for the info TullochArd, very helpful.

Will be painting it but not sure what colour they were? Read somewhere that they were painted black for petrol and white if they contained water. That said, I know they were quite often used to carry water hence the tea and water tasting of petrol. 

Have seen other untouched originals in a green / khaki finish. Anyone shed any more light on the colour? Was there a particular colour of green or did it vary according to manufacturers choice?

Cheers

I’ve seen these described as vickers condensing cans…one here…https://www.wdmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php?code=23157

Edit…a few more…https://www.wdmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php?q=Condenser

Edited by Dave66

They may have been used as Vickers condensing cans, but the inscription "Petroleum Spirit Highly Inflammable" is a clue to its original purpose!

Martin

Hello

I had the opportunity to meet some of them in the field.
All of these were painted red.

Some cap too.

Kind regards.

Michel

2 hours ago, tootrock said:

They may have been used as Vickers condensing cans, but the inscription "Petroleum Spirit Highly Inflammable" is a clue to its original purpose!

Martin

Yes, obviously!

2 hours ago, MarkP said:

Thanks guys. It appears black or a green are the correct colours?

I don't think it is that clear cut MarkP ..... type in "petrol cans" or similar in the GWF search bar and you will see loads of comments regarding colours and uses as the War progressed.